On the Rocks is rockin’ it

Katie Langley, Copy Editor

Between classes, studying and keeping up with responsibilities like student organizations, it’s hard to find time to go out with friends, especially on weeknights. Quinnipiac University’s new pub, On The Rocks, changes this by bringing the get-together directly to students.

Located in the Rocky Top Student Center on the York Hill campus, the pub is open Mondays, Thursdays from 6-10 p.m. and game days. When it comes to the pub’s menu, the food puts dining hall meals to shame. Students can pay for food with their meal points, but if you are looking to drink alcohol, you’ll have to pay out of pocket. Haven’t ventured out to the pub yet? Here’s what my friends and I thought of four courses.

The pub’s nachos are a great pre-meal snack. (Katie Langley)

Appetizer: Nachos

Every good hockey watch party needs good nachos. Next time you can’t snag tickets to watch the Bobcats, I’d recommend grabbing some nachos from On The Rocks and watching on the wall of screens over the bar. Complete with gooey melted cheese and spicy jalapeños and served with sour cream and pico de gallo salsa, the pub has surprisingly solid nachos. My only complaint was the chips themselves, which were loaded with salt and took away from the flavor.

I give the nachos an 8/10 — a great fit for game day.

The salad is an impressive healthy choice. (Katie Langley)

Salad: Bobcat fall salad

This salad celebrates the season with mixed greens and a sweet vinaigrette. Butternut squash and dried cranberries add a pop of flavor, and sunflower seeds deliver a delicious crunch. The salad is a simple, yet satisfactory choice if you’re vegetarian or just looking for something light. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even add shrimp or chicken for an extra charge, but I thought it was just fine without.

The Bobcat fall salad earns a 9/10 in this veggie-lover’s book.

The all-American burger was good, but beware of overcooking. (Katie Langley)

Entree: Angus all-American burger

I’m not a huge burger fan, so I’ll admit I only took a bite of this one. For my friend who loves her burgers medium rare, the all-American burger was left on the grill a little too long. We opted to replace the bacon with caramelized onions, which provided a sweet flavor throughout the bun and patty. With this choice, you get what you expect: a respectable burger.

I give it a 7/10 for delivering on its promises, but be sure to ask if you want it undercooked.

The pub’s turkey club is pretty standard, but underperformed. (Katie Langley)

Entree: Turkey club

There’s nothing truly special about this turkey sandwich except its triple-decker size. Such a large sandwich was not really necessary, especially if you’re sampling the menu for a review. I would probably make this club at home with Thanksgiving leftovers, albeit one-third smaller. The bacon was a bit too chewy for my liking, and the plain white bread was barely toasted. I think the pub definitely could have kicked it up a notch on this one with the addition of some melted cheese or sourdough bread. The chips served on the side were somehow the opposite of the tortilla chips in the nachos: very bland and unsalted. They were good for a crunch, but my friends and I agreed that we would rather have fries on the side.

All in all, I’d give it a 5/10 for being a mediocre pre- Thanksgiving turkey.

My friends and I loved the cheesecake and the presentation was a plus. (Katie Langley)

Dessert: Cookie caramel chocolate cheesecake

How do you do cheesecake right? Ask the chefs at On The Rocks. It has a delicious cheesecake base with indulgent chocolate frosting. A personal favorite, the dessert is topped with chewy brownie bites that I would eat on their own. To top it all off, the presentation of the dessert is beautiful, complete with chocolate drizzle and fresh fruit.

I’m giving this one a 9/10 for looking, and tasting, like it’s from a bougie, upscale restaurant.

Another beautifully presented dessert, the chocolate torte was tasty, but filling. (Katie Langley)

Dessert: Flourless chocolate torte

On The Rocks once again outdid itself with the most- important course. This torte is moist, rich and so, so chocolatey. I wouldn’t recommend the pub’s chocolate torte if you’re not a chocolate lover. I could only get a few bites in before I was full.

I’m giving this one an 8/10. It’s definitely good to share with friends but a bit too rich for a casual dessert.

My friends and I were very impressed by the food at On The Rocks. Living on the Mount Carmel campus, our options are pretty limited when it comes to food, so it was nice to shake things up a little bit. From the live music to the attentive wait staff, the atmosphere felt like a “real” restaurant and bar, with the added bonus of being able to pay with our QCards. I will definitely be coming back to On The Rocks next game day.