Softball drops final game of Stony Brook Invitational

A fast start from the Yale Bulldogs was too much for the Quinnipiac University softball team to handle, as the Bobcats lost their final game of the Stony Brook Invitational, 4-2, on Sunday.

Center fielder Angela Casella led the Bobcats with two hits and an RBI. Senior catcher Katie Allendorfer also contributed going 1-for-3 with a home run.

The Bulldogs jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning when shortstop Meg Johnson doubled to left-center, scoring runners from first and second. The Bulldogs scored their final two runs in the second inning on a bases loaded walk and a ground out to the pitcher.

Allendorfer cut the lead to 4-1 for the Bobcats in the fourth inning on her second home run of the season. The Bobcats tacked on another run in the fifth when Casella singled to right field scoring pinch runner Julia Sini.

Junior Jaimie Iaquinto started from the circle for the Bobcats, falling to 0-3 on the season after surrendering four runs in 1.1 innings pitched. Emily Bellush and Heather Schwartzburg relieved Iaquinto for the final 5.2 innings of the game. Schwartzburg struck out six batters in three innings and the two relievers only allowed three hits to the Bulldogs.

The Bobcats posted a 3-2 record in the Stony Brook invitational, winning games against Yale, Fairfield, and Holy Cross. The two losses came against Stony Brook and in their second meeting against Yale.

Schwartzberg shined for the Bobcats in the tournament, pitching 17 total innings, allowing only one earned run while striking out 27.

The Bobcats fell to 10-13 with the loss on Sunday, while the Bulldogs improved to 2-7.  The Bobcats return to action on Friday when they will travel to Fairfield University for a 2:30 p.m. start.