Schwartzburg shuts out Crusaders with 1-hitter

Senior Kelly Wall and sophomore Heather Schwartzburg led the Quinnipiac softball team to a 1-0 victory over Holy Cross in the Stony Brook Invitational on Saturday.

The game was scoreless up until the sixth inning when Wall’s RBI single to left field drove in Heather Maffeo to give the Bobcats a late one-run lead.

Schwartzburg recorded her sixth win of the season as she stifled the Crusaders offense. She allowed just one hit in seven innings pitched, while striking out 10 batters for the complete game shutout.

The Crusaders tried to make the most out of their lone hit. After Sam Fregenti led off the fifth inning with a single, Kat Rosenthal went in to pinch-run for her. Rosenthal tried to steal second but she was thrown out by catcher Katie Allendorfer, erasing the Crusaders only threat during the game.

The Bobcats had a few chances to take a lead early in the game. Mina Duffy led off the fifth inning with a single to shortstop and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt. But the Bobcats couldn’t capitalize on the opportunity as Holy Cross pitcher Katie Alexander worked out of the jam getting the next two batters out.

The Bobcats left four runners on base before taking the lead, including three in the first three innings.

They improve their record to 10-12 and carry a three-game winning streak into Sunday when they play Yale on the final day of the Stony Brook Invitational.