Bobcats shutout Hawks 2-0

The Quinnipiac women’s soccer team took the 2-0 win against the University of Hartford on Sunday, Sept. 9. This win improves the Bobcat’s record to 4-1 overall.

The beginning of the match was quiet on both ends as neither team pulled ahead of the other. Quinnipiac sophomore forward Grechen Kron then started the excitement when she netted the first goal of the game in the 35th minute. This was Kron’s second goal of the season. Senior forward Ally Grunstein, who sent the cross in for Kron to score, is credited with the assist.

[media-credit name=”Rhea Ghosh” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]The Bobcats held the 1-0 lead until the 59th minute in the second half when senior defender Kylie Lance knocked the ball into the goal to make it 2-0. A foul against Hartford set up a free kick for the Bobcats. Redshirt junior forward Kelsey Golding took the kick and placed it in the air for Lance to head into the goal. This was Lance’s first goal of the season.

In the first half alone, Quinnipiac outshot Hartford 10-1, forcing the Hawks’ goalkeeper to make seven saves. By the end of the match, Quinnipiac’s offense totaled a season-high 16 shots. Defensively, Quinnipiac allowed only six total shots from Hartford.

Freshman goalkeeper Meaghan Phillips had a solid game in the goal. She totaled four saves throughout the game, batting away several close shots by the Hawks. One of Hartford’s shots nearly found the back of the net, but Phillips was just able to tip the ball over the crossbar to make the save. She said in those moments, time almost stands still while she’s waiting on the shot to make the save.

The 2-0 win marks Phillips’ third shutout of the season, which is only one behind the four shutouts former player Jill Kelley had her freshman season.

“I feel really good,” Phillips said of her performance so far this season. “Keeping the clean sheets obviously is every goalie’s dream.”

Quinnipiac head coach Dave Clarke said, however, he is not going to put that pressure on Phillips. He said she’s done well, but will have to face the challenge of competing with veteran goalkeepers on the team for chances to see the field.

The clean sheet in today’s match was essential for the Bobcats going forward in the season.

“They are going to have to play that type of game all the time where we’re on task for 90 minutes and don’t switch off,” Clarke said.

The Bobcats play their next match at home against the Riverhawks of the University of Massachusetts Lowell on Sept. 11. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m.