Fast food Law and ‘Order’

While our food options on campus have stepped it up this year, that doesn’t mean you still can’t crave something a little bit different. For those days when you don’t like what’s on the menu or just feel like treating yourself, here are some convenient

[media-credit name=”Janna Marnell and Ilana Sherman” align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]local food options that are sure to “deliver.”

1. Ixtapa

Food type: Mexican

Location: 2547 Whitney Ave., Hamden

Delivery Availability: Uber Eats, Grubhub

Can’t miss item: Quesadilla Fajitas (Chicken, Steak, or Veggie)

Description: Ixtapa is a great choice if you’re looking for a nice Mexican specialty. They have a little bit of everything ranging from enchiladas to seafood while also having a hefty amount of vegetarian options. Delicately pressed, the fajitas are a perfect blend of peppers and onions with options for sides of sour cream and guacamole. The only warning about this place is to make sure you don’t overdo it on the tasty complimentary chips and salsa before you’re too full for the meal.

1. Spuds Your Way

Food type: American

Location: 3500 Whitney Ave., Hamden

Delivery Availability: Campus Food Trucks, Catering

Can’t miss item: Baked Potato

Description: As much as we will all miss Droogies, Spuds Your Way was a great choice to take its place. After being a frequent presence on campus through its food truck for the past few years, perhaps with the expansion into building space there will be expanded delivery to come. As the name implies, Spuds Your Way offers customizable baked potatoes. With a myriad of choices including cheese, bacon, sour cream, chicken, and broccoli, you can’t really go wrong.

1. Gold Star Chinese Restaurant

Food Type: Chinese

Location: 3030 Whitney Ave., Hamden

Can’t miss item: Pork Fried Rice

Description: While the school’s Chinese offerings may be limited, Gold Star’s menu certainly is not. The best part about Gold Star is it’s as tasty as it is cost-efficient. The best way to enjoy Gold Star is probably with a group to sample all sorts of different foods from lo mein to Wonton soup. The pork fried rice earns some additional acclaim for being just as good (if not better) once reheated. Be sure to test your fortunes ordering from here.

1. Roost

Food Type: American

Location: 2308 Whitney Ave., Hamden

Delivery Availability: DoorDash

Can’t miss item: Chipotle Chicken Hand-Held

Description: New to Hamden last year, Roost, like so many other great eateries on our list, is conveniently located on Whitney Avenue. Sad the grilled station has already run out of chipotle mayo? The chipotle chicken hand-held can be doused in it if you wish. Get ready to break out of your comfort zone a bit if you’re a traditional tenders/wings fan, as items like the ‘Chikin bowl’ contain Napa cabbage, broccoli, edamame and pickled carrots.

5. Glenwood Drive-In

Food Type: American

Location: 2538 Whitney Ave., Hamden

Delivery Availability: DoorDash

Can’t miss item: Fish and Chips

Description: Perhaps more well-known for their hotdogs, it’s Glenwood’s fish plate that really steals the show. With three large pieces of baked fish for less than $10, you can definitely feel like you’re getting a break from campus meals for a day. Looking for something outside the box on the side? Look no further than their delicious zucchini fries.

1. Tonino’s

Food Type: Italian

Location: 3480 Whitney Ave., Hamden

Delivery Availability: Traditional Delivery

Can’t miss item: White Spinach Pizza

Description: At this point, I’m convinced every QU student who takes a bite of Tonino’s pizza at campus events becomes instantly hooked. A popular choice is the buffalo chicken pizza, but a hidden gem is the white spinach that’s tastefully covered in garlic. Warning: make sure you have some gum or mints at your disposal afterward.

1. Ray and Mike’s Deli

Food Type: Sandwiches

Location: 3030 Whitney Ave., Hamden

Delivery Availability: DoorDash

Can’t miss item: Chicken Al Fresca sandwich

Description: If you think you need to get your eyes checked because you keep reading the same line over and over, think again. Whitney Avenue truly is home to many great food options, and Ray and Mike’s is no exception. A must-have for all QU students during their time here, the chicken al fresca includes roasted peppers and fresh mozzarella drizzled in flavorful balsamic. I’m sure you can already taste it.

1. Bangkok Boulevard

Food Type: Thai

Location: 3000 Whitney Ave., Hamden

Delivery Availability: Uber Eats, Grubhub, DoorDash

Can’t miss item: Sizzling Beef

Description: While Bangkok Boulevard may seem like a place that isn’t talked about as much as some of the other choices, its meals will fill you up and still leave you with leftovers. The sizzling beef, which surprisingly tastes just as good delivered, is layered with zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, onions and scallions served with a side of rice.