Bobcats, Blackbear & Big Fish

With names like Blackbear and Reel Big Fish, you would think that Quinnipiac University was hosting a zoo this semester. In reality, those are just the names of this year’s headliners for Springfest, presented by WQAQ 98.1 on Saturday, April 6 and the Student Programming Board’s Wake the Giant on Saturday, April 13.

Springfest

Date: Saturday, April 6

Time: Doors 7 p.m., Show 8 p.m.

Cost: Free for QU students, $15 at the door

Reel Big Fish is a ska punk band from Orange County, California. Never heard of ska punk? Well, it basically combines the punk feel of quick moving and catchy guitar parts and vocals with the lively, bright sound of a horn section.

Opening the show is Asceral Envictus, a progressive rock band from Boston, Massachusetts. The band formed in 2014 and has been influenced by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Snarky Puppy, Muse and others, according to its Facebook page.

Reel Big Fish comes to Quinnipiac fresh off a run on the final cross-country edition of the Vans Warped Tour. You’d probably recognize more of their tunes than you would think. Some songs to look forward to include “Sell Out,” (which is a Quinnipiac Pep Band staple), and their ska punk covers of A-ha’s “Take On Me” and Van Morrison’s classic “Brown Eyed Girl.”

The show is free for Quinnipiac students and will offer free pizza as well. Tickets to the public are $10 if pre-ordered online and $15 at the door. Concert-goers must be at least 18 years old to attend. The show is located in the Burt Kahn basketball court and doors open at 7 p.m.

“I’m expecting everyone to have a really good time,” WQAQ General Manager Emma Spagnuolo said. “I’m expecting more Quinnipiac students represented this year in the audience because the response [to the announcement of Reel Big Fish as the headliner of Springfest] has been great. We’re expecting a pretty good turnout and a great show.”

Wake the Giant

Date: Saturday, April 13

Time: Doors 7 p.m., Show 8 p.m.

Cost: $20-25 for undergrads, $23-30 for grads

Blackbear is an R&B artist and record producer from Palm Coast, Florida. A lot of his music has that modern feel with a catchy beat with a strong bass coupled with a memorable chorus that’ll keep his songs in your head all day long.

Opening up for Blackbear is Bryce Vine, a rapper and singer from the Big Apple. He is best known for his song “Drew Barrymore,” which will complement Blackbear’s style and get the show started off on the right foot.

Blackbear has been around since 2006, so he’s got a lot of firepower in his repertoire that he could use to wake the Giant. Some Blackbear tunes you’ll probably hear include “Idfc,” “do re mi” and “chateau.”

If you don’t have a ticket yet, don’t worry because tickets are still available at $25 for general admission and $20 for seats. If you’re a graduate student, it’s $30 for general admission and $25 for seats. Feel free to bring your appetite, as there will be several food trucks on site that will be free for students prior to the event, according to SPB Mainstage Chair Olivia Morgan.

“I’m hoping that [the student body] is going to have a great time,” Morgan said. “They’re both really high energy performers… I’m hoping it’s a nice Saturday night for everyone to have a great show on our campus and not have to go too far away for great entertainment.”

The doors for the show open at 7 p.m. and The Giant is set to be woken at 8 p.m.