Seven ways to get through these last winter months

Let’s face it-winter isn’t exactly the most uplifting time of year, and it looks like winter’s snow and chill will be extending their stay this year. With the holiday season over and the gloves and coats being put to over use, there is not much to look forward too except winters end. Even though the bitterly cold days can get you down, there are still ways to get yourself into a better mood and make these last couple of winter weeks a bit brighter.

1. Go out of your way to be nice to friends, family and even strangers. February has been named National Giving Back month. Simple things like calling up loved ones and listening to how their day was, or going to a nursing home and spending time with some of those who live there would constitute a good deed.
    2. Get involved. There are numerous clubs and organizations to choose from at Quinnipiac. If you aren’t sure which ones to get involved with, attend a bunch of meetings and go from there. You are bound to find one that sparks your interest.
    3. Set a goal for yourself at the gym. Working out not only gets you in shape, but it also can make you feel much happier. Setting goals such as running one mile a day, working out three times a week or even doing the eight-minute workout routines on YouTube can really make a difference in your mood.
    4. Plan fun activities with your roommates and friends. Redecorating your dorm room in bright colors could perk everyone up. Taking a trip into New York City, where there are no limits to what you can do, is a great idea as well. Metro-North railroad tickets are $28 round trip from New Haven. Socialization is always an ingredient for happiness.
    5. Get some sun. Many days are gray, which is all the more reason to take advantage of those sunny days when they come. Go outside and have a snowball fight, bundle up and hike The Sleeping Giant or just walk around campus for a bit.
    6. Try to stay healthy. The flu is always lurking around the corner during the winter and having it can worsen your mood. So make sure to wash your hands, eat healthy, take a multivitamin and be positive.
    7. Reward yourself. When you have something entertaining to look forward to it can help keep you motivated. Focus hard on your school work throughout the week and plan something exciting for your weekend. Anticipating a trip you are taking or a massage you have scheduled will really perk up your mood. Everyone deserves time for himself or herself, so make sure you schedule yourself in.