Women’s basketball falls to Long Island [Slideshow]

Photo credits: Andrew Vazzano

Despite some strong individual performances, the Quinnipiac women’s basketball team fell to the Long Island University Blackbirds, 66-54.

For Senior Day, the Bobcats honored their four seniors, Kathleen Neyens, Krystal Lazos, Sarah McGowan and Megan Barnum, before the game.

The Bobcats enjoyed a one-point halftime lead (32-31) with the help of sophomore forward Jacinda Dunbar, who had 11 points, four rebounds and four steals in the first half, but it was their last lead of the game.

Long Island (16-9, 10-4 NEC) got off to a very fast start in the second half helped in large part by the Bobcats missing 11 of their first 14 second-half shots.

“We were completely inept on offense today,” Quinnipiac head coach Tricia Fabbri said. “They really pushed us around and we can’t allow that. We have to push back.”

Quinnipiac (10-15, 5-9 NEC) struggled mightily on offense, as they converted on only 21 of 57 shots from the field (36.8 percent).

Blackbird guard Heidi Mothershead’s open three at the 12:28 mark gave the team their largest lead to that point at nine and put LIU in complete control.

Mothershead’s 19 points as well as Kiara Evans’ 15 led the third-place Blackbirds. For the Bobcats, Dunbar finished with 15 points and seven boards along with six steals. Redshirt junior center Courtney Kaminski also contributed 16 points and eight rebounds.

The Bobcats will embark on a critical two-game road trip to Pennsylvania, starting this Thursday at 5 p.m. against St. Francis.