Petition for a panini press

The year is 2019. In the last two years, Quinnipiac has aligned with other universities of its time in culinary advancements such as the sushi bar, Starbucks and a pasta line at York Hill. And yet, there is still a gaping hole in the diet of Quinnipiac students, faculty, staff and anyone and everyone with the taste for good food.

One word: Panini.

Paninis, pressed sandwiches, if you will, are a crucial part of the average American diet. And yet, both the Mount Carmel and York Hill campuses lack this very staple of the main food groups. One may argue that a sandwich line is enough, that deli meats simply heated briefly in an oven are the ideal sandwich. They are good, don’t get me wrong, but for the length of two semesters, the stress of two weeks of finals, every quick bite or lunch date, it’s simply not enough.

For those who don’t know, Dictionary.com defines the panini as a traditional, small Italian sandwich filled with meat, cheese, grilled vegetables, etc., and usually toasted. These may be the basics, but the actual sandwich is so much more.

There’s something special about hot-pressing a sandwich so that all of the meats and cheeses are melted properly. The current system QU dining members use simply warms the bread and leaves the cheese coagulating and the eater ultimately unhappy. The system is broken and needs fixing and we have most of the materials to fix it.

Now, the real question here is: Why does Quinnipiac not take advantage of this easy-to-use and delicious choice of meal?

Universities across the nation such as Stony Brook, UConn, Penn State, University of Colorado and so many more have seen the light while we still sit in the dark.

We have the bread, all assortments, the cheeses, as many as you could imagine and all the additives. But the one thing we’re missing is the most crucial part of the sandwich: the panini press.

How simple it would be to purchase a panini press, of which only go for $34.99 on Amazon and $24.99 at Target, to please the entirety of the student body? Considering all of the other aspects are currently present, it only seems fit to fill the empty hole in every Bobcats’ stomach.

Easy as it may seem to correct the problem plaguing the diet of this school, Quinnipiac still chooses to stand by and let this abomination live on. And it’s mostly because they don’t know the issue exists.

As much as students moan and complain, myself especially included, nothing changes until someone has the will to make the change. To make a statement others can back and follow into the great beyond of the sandwich world.

I’m calling on all Bobcats, no matter your shape, size or taste buds to fight for the food we deserve. Things are constantly changing and evolving in the dining halls of QU to meet the needs of the students, so why can’t this be the next great change? Quinnipiac needs a panini press, Quinnipiac needs paninis.

This is the official petition for a panini press.