Anything can happen come game time

This is why I watch sports.

The unexpected. The unbelievable.

The Patriots were perfect in the 2007 season. No other team had gone 18-0 in professional football history.

Beyond that, they’re the best team of this decade. They can claim championships in 2001, 2003, and 2004.

The Giants were a mere 10-6 wild-card team that barely qualified for the playoffs. Sure, they got hot enough to earn a berth in the Super Bowl. But, could they possibly compete with the perfect Pats? No one seemed to think so.

Yet, as the game wore on, the Giants didn’t go away.

For reasons far out of the reach of my limited football intellect, the Giants defense sliced right through the vaunted Patriots offensive line. The highly touted Patriots offense was held to a mere seven points through three quarters.

With time winding down in the fourth quarter, the Giants were able to take a 10-7 lead. Shockwaves reverberated throughout the football world.

Then, reality came crashing down on the Giants. Tom Brady, the best clutch Quarterback of our era, led the Pats to a touchdown and took the lead with just over two minutes remaining.

As hard as the Giants had fought, the Pats would finally come out on top. Right?

The Giants had different ideas. We all know how it turned out.

About half of those reading this are smiling, reminiscing about the Giants unlikely victory. As for those from the Boston sports nation, baseball season starts pretty soon.

But, just minutes before Plaxico Burress caught the game-winning touchdown, a Giants victory seemed impossible.

Beyond that, no one thought the Giants stood a chance during the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl.

In fact, a Giants Super Bowl victory hadn’t seemed likely since the Giants got knocked out of last year’s playoffs.

But that’s what’s great about sports. Predictions and probabilities are rendered absolutely useless after the opening kickoff, pitch, tip or drop of the puck. Anything can happen.

And we need not wait until next year’s Super Bowl, or even World Series to enjoy the joys of sports.

The wonderfully wide open nature of pro sports applies to the Quinnipiac Bobcats, just as much as it applies to the New York Giants or New England Patriots.

Why can’t our men’s or women’s basketball team win their conference championship and earn a berth in the NCAA tournament?

It’s not exactly likely, but it could happen.

So if anyone’s looking for something to do, why not go out and root for the Bobcats?

It might not be the Super Bowl, but its still sports!