Looking for something to do this spring?

Now that the spring semester is in full swing, it’s time to take a look at the upcoming activities on campus and the events going on in Hamden and New Haven.

As usual, every weekend there are fun and creative events sponsored by QUAD, as well as the Student Programming Board.

A major event that is fast approaching is Spirit Week, beginning Feb. 17 with the Bobcat Bash in Alumni Hall.

Events include Appreciation Day, Organizations Day, Favorite Sports Team, Blue and Gold, and Athletics Days (respectively).

Another event to look forward to is WQAQ’s annual Battle of the Bands on Feb.29, with the time to still be announced.

If you are looking for some things to do off campus,Toad’s Place in New Haven will be hosting a variety of performers over the next few months.

The “I Love Hip-Hop” concert will be held on Feb. 13, hosted by Hot 93.7’s DJ Buck, in celebration of Black History Month.

Other concerts include Grace Potter & the Nocturnals on Feb. 22, Keller Williams on Feb. 27, a local band showcase, featuring Not for Nothing, Falling Stickmen, and more on Feb. 28 and Say Anything on March 27. For more information on upcoming concerts at Toad’s Place, check out their Web site at www.toadsplace.com.

Back on campus, QU STAND and the International Human Rights Law Society will be co-sponsoring a preview of “Darfur Now”, a documentary investigating the genocide taking place in Darfur, Sudan, on Thursday, Feb. 22 in Alumni Hall. The screening begins at 6:30 p.m., and includes a guest speaker, Professor William O’Brien from the School of Communications.

The first full week of March will be Diversity Week. Planned during the diversity retreat earlier this year, Diversity Week will promote awareness towards multiculturalism and inclusion. If you’ve seen the blue and yellow bracelets circulating around campus, you may already know that the purpose of them is to ban discrimination and racism, which goes hand in hand with Diversity Week.

Another WQAQ event is the annual Spring Concert on April 4 in Alumni Hall. The bands and time are currently unknown, however it will be exciting to have another band visit QU, as we have Jack’s Mannequin, T-Pain and The Academy Is coming here on Feb. 23. Tickets can be picked up now in the Student Center with a valid QU ID.

Furthermore, if giving back to the community is what you are looking for, the Relay for Life will take place on April 5-6. If you want to sign up for the Relay, you can contact a team captain to join their team, or you can start up your own team. There’s a Relay for Life Kickoff meeting Sunday, Feb. 17 at 1 p.m. in Alumni Hall. If you’re interested in making a team, or if you want more information, you can go to the meeting to fill out the paperwork and have your questions answered.

We all know there’s a bit of rivalry between the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox. Okay, “a bit” may be an understatement. The point is that Red Sox fans will be pleased to know SPB is planning an off-campus trip to Fenway Park to see the Texas Rangers take on the Red Sox on April 19. More information will follow when the date is closer.

Taking a look at May, it’s hard to believe another year is almost over. This month includes the Dance Company’s Spring Show May 1-3, followed by finals week (what fun!), and the week after, Senior Week.

For more upcoming events, be sure to check out the calendar in the Student Center near the bookstore in addition to the student events e-mails.

There are a lot of fast-approaching events that involve making a difference, and participating will make your voice heard and the impact that much greater. So, get involved!