Dear Alicia

As I’m sure you’re aware, spring break is just around the corner. The gym is overly crowded with students trying to make the best of their new years resolutions, and well, I’m sort of a lazy person and don’t like to go to the gym that much anyway. Do you have any quick tips to get into shape that I could do in the comfort of my own room to avoid the craziness?

From Lazy Bones

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Lazy Bones,

Being a college student and watching your weight is more difficult then taking 18 credits, being the president of your class and having an internship in the city 3 times a week, but it is not impossible.

The campus gym has been packed lately, but cardio is really your best bet to not only lose some weight and get toned, but to also keep a healthy heart.

You can do cardio in your own room by doing jumping jacks, jumping rope or even picking up a Tae Bo video or my personal favorite, Hip Hop Abs. The video is a lot of fun, has great music and when you are done, you will definitely feel like you had an amazing workout.

You should try to do about 30 minutes of cardio at least 3 times a week.

After cardio there are a lot of other workouts that you can try to tone your body and feel great.

I am an avid reader of Glamour magazine and they give such great tips in their Health and Body Book section, especially ones that you can do right in your own living room.

I have always had problems with my ‘muffin top’. You know, that pieces of flab that just hangs over your bathing suit bottom? Well, Glamour gave three keys moves that will help get rid of that muffin top in no time.

First is called The Frog. You need to get in the raised and ready push-up position and in one fluid motion you need to bring your left knee in towards your stomach, lift it out to the left side and then push it behind you, straighten your knee and return to the starting position. Do two sets of six reps on each leg.

The second is the Ultimate Toe Reach. Lie on the floor face up with your arms stretched out to the side, shoulder height and your legs straight and hip length apart. Then lift your shoulder blades off the floor as high as you can while raising your left arm and right leg off the floor, trying to touch your toes. Do two sets of 10 reps on each side.

The third and final move is called the Weighted Walking Lunge. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hold a dumbbell about 5 pounds with both hands, while arms are straight in front of you. Take a big step with your left leg and lower your body into lunge position and twist your torso to the left, arms following. Then switch sides and step with the right leg, lunge and twist to the right. Do 2 sets of 12 on each side.

Working out is very important to keep a healthy lifestyle, but remember if you work out every day but eat pizza and chips at 1 a.m. while studying, your workouts are not going to help you much.

Make sure your calorie intake goes along with your workout. It is difficult, especially eating at the café, but your plate should be divided into 3 portions. 50 percent of your plate should be fruits and vegetables, 25 percent should be protein, like meat, chicken or fish and the other 25 percent should be filled with whole grains.

Never eat in abundance. If you have small portions of everything but eat more times during the day, your body will work off the fat faster.

Also, always remember, that not eating is not going to make you lost weight quickly. It is unhealthy and definitely not a diet option.

Follow the tips and I promise, you will feel a lot better during Spring Break week. Good Luck.