New start in ‘new Village’

After a semester of dealing with temporary housing, the newest residents of the ‘new Village’ suites have finally moved into their permanent residence halls, Village 660’s and 670’s.

The two dorms most recently opened, which are located behind the Commons residence hall, were supposed to open last October, according to reports published in the Chronicle. Some students were able to move into the new dorms during finals week last semester. But others came back a few days early this semester to move in to the 24 bed dorms.

Overall, students placed in the new Village suites said they were excited about the large space and the beauty of the new dorms. Students also said they were happy to be finally living in their permanent residence.

“I love the new room,” sophomore athletic training major Megan Groneman said. “It is nice to finally be with the people that I asked to be with.”

Groneman and her roommates had been placed in various new Village dorms last semester.

“I was terrified to live with people I didn’t know, but I was lucky that my new roommates were very sweet and we became close friends. Now I know more people on campus,” sophomore nursing major Maddie Gestone said.

Junior communications major John McKenna was placed in Dana last semester due to construction, but is now happy to be with his roommates in new Village.

“Dana I wasn’t crazy about. We happened to be in a good hallway with a good group, but you could hear everyone and everything that goes with it,” McKenna said.

McKenna’s roommates Troy Perkins and Chris Noe agreed, adding that they now enjoy not having to walk down the hallway to use the bathroom as they had to in Dana and the freedom that comes with having their own suite. They also said it was like being a freshman again, which took some getting used to.

Overall, residents were happy with the new dorms. Their biggest complaint, they said, was the long walk uphill and the work still being done to the buildings.

“The railings out front aren’t done and everything’s mud, there’s no grass yet. and the long walk to throw away garbage,” Noe said are his biggest complaints.

The move to their new dorms wasn’t as easy as they expected and students agreed that Residential Life wasn’t as helpful as they had hoped. McKenna said that they didn’t have the move-in trucks like he thought they would. Although he said moving in was quick especially since they had more space. One of the biggest hassles students dealt with was getting their Q-cards changed to their new rooms.

Although students were overall happy with their new dorm, there were a few things they wish has been done differently.

Groneman and her roommates wished that the bathroom was larger and that there was more than one shower. Many students also said that they would have liked a kitchen, especially since there was more than enough room for one.

Freshman students who had been living in lounges were moved into the vacated rooms in Dana.

Residential Life did not respond to emails by press time.