Style File: What to wear this holiday season

As the holiday season approaches, the average American is assailed with commercial charms and social gatherings. Holiday dinners, family get-togethers and community jamborees bombard the celebrant. It is time to dress up delightfully for a pleasant evening.

But just because the holiday season is dedicated to the traditional celebration, it does not mean the wardrobe should be predictable as well.

How can one stray from the holiday uniform of poorly fitting slacks and flashy sweaters? Think of the seasonal wardrobe as flavorless gingerbread and spice it up.

This season’s runway served as a platform for all styles and tastes. The wild-child can still stay chic by taking a hint from Marc Jacobs, whose collection featured narrow silhouettes of deep color, topped off with brimmed knit hats. Lanvin took a more classic approach, pairing black bottoms and jewel-toned satin tops with a slight puff in the shoulder. A sleeve in such a fabric combines simplicity with luxury. Fuscias, golds, greens and blues paired with black in updated silhouettes are the perfect solution for the usually monotonous dresser.

Luella and Versace also utilized the dissimilar splash of color mixed with black. Colored coats can be found at Gap, while dresses and skirts are displayed by the dozen at Urban Outfitters and American Apparel.

Jewel tones lit up the runway this fall, but if Christmas light brights don’t appeal, the designers aforementioned also featured looks that combined darks like navy blue, black and grey for the more conservative woman. Luella pairs navy with navy, or even black, and punches it up with jackets and tunics of luxurious velvet and satin.

Sumptuous textiles and accents seem to be a staple this season at stores like J.Crew and Banana Republic.

The average male who is sick of “Charlie Brown” Christmas ties and jingle bell socks can upgrade to v-neck sweater vests, sweaters, narrow pants and ties.

Allessandro Dell’Acqua topped dark trousers with grey or cream colored blazers and sweaters. Light colored collared shirts and ties, layered underneath add the perfect touch of dressiness. Accessorize this look with a slender leather belt. The risk taker can add a leather jacket in black or red for a dose of seasonal non-conformity.

Trendy stores make shopping for men easy. At H&M, every layer can be purchased at a reasonable price, right down to the belt and socks.

As far as feet are concerned, women wearing a bright color on top should let it be the main event. Black heels blend in nicely with black tights, making that emerald tunic pop. Dressed in all black? Some cherry colored heels will give the look some holiday punch. Men should stick to classic dark lace-ups and penny loafers.

The holiday season is all about celebration. A time to rejoice is not a time to be boring. A few key pieces are all it takes to update any tired look and exemplify joyful cheer both inside and out.

Happy shopping!