Second semester preparations

As the first semester comes to a close it is hard to think about second semester and what needs to be done to prepare for it.

Obviously it is important to choose classes, but there are numerous other things to consider.

“Preparing for second semester is all about the clothes,” sophomore media production major Mike Young said. “I make sure to bring back warmer, winter clothes and leave my summer clothes at home until spring break.”

When returning at the end of January, the weather can be very unpredictable.

One thing that can be counted on though, is the fact that Dorm Road gets turned into a wind tunnel, making bundling up one of the most important things to think about for second semester.

Students also focus on what they do and do not need to bring back.

“I’m going to bring home my larger fans and some of the under-bed storage things that I ended up not using,” sophomore english major Emily Dziobek said.

Many students find they do not have room for large storage bins even though they seem like a good idea initially.

However, freshman occupational therapy major Kayla Palmieri thinks otherwise.

“I plan on bringing back some more closet storage, like hanging sweater shelves,” Palmieri said. “Plus I definitely need more hangers.”

Junior math major Jess Barbato said that she changes out her DVDs between semesters.

“I get sick of having the same choices so I usually leave half of my movies home first semester and then bring them home at the end [of the semester] and bring back new ones,” Barbato said.

While some students focus on which items are necessary and which are unnecessary, others find that their routines change.

“A lot of my classes start later next semester so I’m planning on going to the gym early in the morning,” junior math major Kerri Hurley said. “This semester I would usually go later on in the night which was hard to balance with meetings, but I think next semester will work out better.”

As second semester gets closer, many student organizations will start sending out e-mails about new meeting times and the athletic department releases its schedule of exercise classes.

So whether you’re changing your routine or gearing up for a major move it’s important to start planning ahead for next semester.