Solutions for health-conscious diners

Though the fine delicacies of cheesy pizza, juicy burgers, and crispy French fries may keep most college students content, these greasy and fattening foods do not necessarily appeal to everyone.

Fortunately for those nutrition-conscious students, there are still plenty of healthy and enjoyable choices that can be found on and off campus.

Chartwells, Quinnipiac’s catering providers, are now offering “Balanced Choices,” a program designed to inform students on the health choices they are making.

“Balanced Choices” provides a food icon guide of symbols used to describe the nutritional content of certain foods. Some examples of these icons include Fit, Vegetarian, Vegan and Carb-Control.

The Fit icon represents meals with less than 600 calories, 30 percent or fewer of those from fat, and 10 percent or fewer from saturated fat. As for the Carb-Control option, students are assured that their meal item will contain 12 grams of carbohydrates or less per serving. These icons can mostly be found in the Outtakes section of Café Q and the Bobcat Den.

Though nutrition menus are not available at every station in Café Q, hungry students still have the option of the salad bar, the deli and the occasional whole wheat pasta at Mama Leone’s.

Nutrition menu’s are also available at Coyote Jack’s Grill, Au Bon Pain and Mondo Sub. Students trying to watch what they eat can pick up these menus in front of the designated station.

At Zia Juice, low calorie smoothies are provided, as well as slim down, immune and energy boosters adding only 10 calories each. Zia also provides fat-free frozen yogurt with added “probiotics,” a term meaning “Pro-Life” used to describe the healthy benefits found in each delectable dish.

For those students looking to grab a bite off campus, a number of local restaurant chains are also providing healthier options for their customers.

Located on Dixwell Avenue, the popular Applebee’s, T.G.I. Fridays and Chili’s, are offering more nutritious items to their already booming menus.

Applebee’s provides numerous Weight-Watchers options such as the Confetti Chicken and the Teriyaki Steak and Shrimp Skewers.

At Friday’s, diners can choose from an assortment of entrees either low in fat, carbs, or available in the new “Right Portions” sections. Here, customers can still enjoy their favorite dishes in a smaller yet just as filling portion.

Chili’s, located in the Hamden Plaza, provides its customers with the Guiltless Grill. The newly added section of the menu provides delicious entrees with the nutritional content provided below each item. Options that can be found on the Guiltless Grill include the Guiltless Black Bean Burger, the Guiltless Grilled Chicken Sandwich and the Guiltless Salmon.

For those looking to stay on campus but still want to order a good meal, there are healthy delivery options as well.

Primo Pizza along with Drougie’s Pizza offer a variety of salads and wraps sure to satisfy any stomach. Some examples include a grilled chicken wrap, a Cajun chicken salad or a veggie wrap.

With so many options to choose from, staying nutritious and healthy while at school can not only be possible but enjoyable.