Geary: Student voices are strongest

Student Government President Sean Geary addressed Quinnipiac University students last Wednesday in the second annual “State of the Union” speech.

Geary, who was introduced by sophomore class representative Hannah Reinhart, spoke mostly to fellow SGA members, as well as to Q30 cameras. He began by talking about the speech’s purpose. “I am here to inform, and perhaps more importantly, to act,” Geary said.

First to be discussed was the progress of the SGA class cabinets. He addressed each class individually, discussing their goals and ambitions as well as their current projects.

Geary praised the freshmen for taking initiative, the sophomores for their GoGreen program, and the juniors for their “Do you QU?” campaign.

However, his highest praise went to the senior class cabinet.

“What is exciting about the senior class cabinet is that it contains some of the great leaders at Quinnipiac,” Geary said.

Geary talked about the Student Awareness Comittee and the issues they had been dealing with. Holding student events at the TD Banknorth arena and the creation of club sports were both mentioned, but the student handbook was the most pressing issue. Geary and the Student Awareness Committee are attempting to allow students to have a say as to what goes into the book, which is currently compiled entirely by administrators.

“Through our collaboration, I think the students will have a voice in the student handbook,” he said.

While he is attempting to accomplish a lot, Geary realizes the importance of cooperation between students and administrators.

To promote understanding between the two groups, the SGA programming committee is attempting to organize a meet and greet for students and university administrators. Geary also discussed the role of campus media in spreading the SGA’s message.

“We as a student government hope that what we do gets out to students,” he said. “We think that the best way to do that is through our campus media groups.”

Geary made it a point to discuss the diversity issue that has been looming over campus all semester. He praised the ad-hoc diversity committee for its work in bringing together all of the diversity groups on campus. He also talked about the declaration of community values and rights that the committee has begun drafting and the new protocol instated by the Student Diversity Board to help prevent hate crimes. “Students are coming together on an issue,” said Geary. “Students are coming together to say it isn’t right.”

Geary closed by letting the students know that they have the power to change things on campus.

“The point I’m trying to make,” he said, is that we have the power to dictate where we want to go and what we want to do.”

He also let students know just how powerful he feels their voices are at Quinnipiac. “Our voices are the loudest, strongest, and most recognizable on this campus,” Geary said.