Spears and the Boys battle like it’s 1999 again

Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys have taken America back to a time when the world’s population had just reached 6 billion people, and everyone lived in fear of Y2K.

With the release of their new albums “Blackout” and “Unbreakable,” Spears and the Backstreet Boys, respectively, turned back the clocks nearly 10 years.

Coincidently, both artists’ comeback albums were released last Tuesday, Oct. 30.

Feelings toward this type of music rewind are mixed. Quinnipiac junior Alexis Fotiades did not even realize that the two albums had the same release date, but said that it was “stupid for them to come out on the same day.” She thought that Britney would outsell the Backstreet Boys because she still has such popularity.

Freshman Danielle Hawaux thought that the record release was “well planned.”

“Why not,” Hawaux said. “It’s a double blast from the past.”

However sophomore Megan Scully did not seem very excited about either one of the albums.

“I feel like that kind of music is so 10 years ago,” Scully said.

Spear’s consistent presence among celebrity news made “Blackout” a highly anticipated album.

With an unforgettable performance at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards, the public was waiting to see what Britney had in store with her new album.

“Gimme More”, the first single off of her new album, has been a successful single and an accurate preview of the rest of the album; twelve tracks of a mechanically altered Britney over computerized dance beats.

The lyrics lack substance and with titles like “Get Naked (I Got a Plan),” and “Ooh Ooh Baby,” not much should be expected.

“Piece Of Me” seems to be her own way of saying “screw you” to the entire world and is worth a listen just to hear what she has to say for herself.

Unlike Britney who finds herself in the spotlight nowadays, the Backstreet Boys have laid low. “Inconsolable,” the first single off of “Unbreakable” received little radio airplay and the Backstreet Boys managed to stay out of the public eye in their time off.

With “Unbreakable,” the Boys stay true to their roots and give their faithful fans exactly what they want.

“Inconsolable” is a clear indication that the Backstreet Boys have not lost their ability to harmonize (even with the departure of member Kevin Richardson) and sing a beautiful ballad.

“Unbreakable” combines their typical ballads with more upbeat tracks all about their favorite subject: women.

The ‘Boys also contribute their fair share of lyrics for the album while borrowing from others.

The song “Treat Me Right” was a surprising combined lyrical effort by former boy-band rivals- Backstreet Boy A.J. McLean and ‘NSYNC’s J.C. Chasez.

Though the Backstreet Boys may not receive the credit they deserve in record sales, they have not failed in producing a quality album with catchy emotionally charged lyrics sung in perfect harmony.