Top 3 hole-in-the-wall restaurants QU students drool over

At first glance, El Amigo looks like every other Mexican restaurant in New Haven. Inside its walls customers are greeted with a fun, easy-going atmosphere. Flags are strung across the ceiling and the bar is usually crowded with Quinnipiac and Yale students.

“Many students do not know about this place,” said Jason Sena, a junior criminal justice major. “The vibe is fun and the food is so good.”

Amanda Cupelli, a freshman undeclared liberal arts major is picky about where she eats.

“I generally look for a fun, relaxed, casual environment when I select a restaurant to dine at,” Cupelli said. “El Amigo’s has the right balance of good, fast, service and a relaxed environment at only a fraction of the price.”

While the restaurant does have a bar with a diverse array of options, the most unique items on their menu consist of non-alcoholic beverages. They serve alternatives that most people would not find in other places, including non-alcoholic beers, and a tasty Mexican grapefruit soda.

El Amigo is located on 8 Whalley Ave. in New Haven and is open Tuesday through Sunday from 3:30 p.m. to midnight.

In May of 1984, the restaurant owners Pat and Patty Puglia opened Everyday Gourmet’s doors. Since then, the restaurant has been serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner to the public.

“We wanted to give students the alternative of fast food and fast service at a low price,” Puglia said.

The Italian restaurant offers both take out and catering services in addition to “eat-in” dining.

The menu features soups, salads, burgers, cold cuts, wraps, and hot sandwiches.

The menu also spotlights a unique assortment of specialty sandwiches. Students who frequently make special sandwich requests get their creations added to the already assorted list.

Some of the already popular student-named sandwiches include the Big Jon (hot roast beef, mozzarella, and gravy), the TK (roast beef and chicken salad with balsamic vinaigrette on toasted whole wheat bread), and the Jenna (grilled chicken, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and balsamic vinaigrette).

Everyday Gourmet is proud to cater to customers’ requests. Taylor ham, for example, is a specific style of ham that can only be found in New Jersey. So many students requested it that the owners had to order it. Now, the restaurant regularly carries it.

“We’ll do anything to keep the students happy,” Puglia said.

Everyday Gourmet is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

The Educated Burgher is known by its customers as a great place for diner food: burgers, milkshakes, french fries, and anything else fried that customers may desire. Conveniently located along Broadway in New Haven, it serves as an easy stop while doing errands.

As its name suggests, The Educated Burgher is targeted towards the average college student. Its atmosphere is one of warmth and friendliness.

“One of the most important things about a restaurant is its service. Friendly, genuine hosts and waitresses make me feel welcome,” said Mark Andrezyk, a freshman media production major.

The Educated Burgher is located at 51 Broadway and is open Monday through Sunday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.