Greek Life at QU

We are only halfway through the semester, but the Greeks have wasted no time at all working towards their philanthropies, aiding the community, and continuing their efforts to break down the stereotypes that have limited their recruitment and spurred ill-opinions of what fraternities and sororities really are.

Alpha Chi Omega has taken this on as one of their main goals for this year.

“We all really have the same goal of decreasing stereotypes and promoting unity,” said Vice President of Recruitment, junior physical therapy major Brittany Gazelle.

The sorority is especially concerned with extending their role in the community, and on campus. “Greek life as a whole has talked about expanding our support to help others,” Gazelle said.

Alpha Chi Omega already held their annual Frisbee Fest for their national philanthropy – the fight against domestic violence. The sorority also participated in two walks in conjuction with Domestic Violence Month, as well as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. In keeping up with their support of breast cancer awareness, the girls of Alpha Chi Omega have made their semi-formal pink themed.

“My suggestion is to go out and experience every opportunity you have,” Gazelle said, “Be yourself, because that’s what we’re about.”

While Greeks make up only four percent of the student body, they have certainly made their presence known. Sigma Phi Epsilon president, and senior political science major Steve Altmann points out that [Greeks] “Do a great job with such small numbers.”

Sigma Phi Epsilon demonstrates the productivity and effectiveness, as well as a complete reversal of stereotypes with their Balanced Man Program. The fraternity does not believe in pledging, but rather a different strategy.

“It’s not just about proving yourself once, it’s about continuously improving.continued development,” Altmann said. The brothers of SigEp are part of an incessant strive for self-improvement.

“Our members want to do more,” Altmann said. “Guaranteed, you’re going to come out a better person than when you came in.”

Phi Sigma Sigma also emphasizes the academic integrity of their sorority sisters and Greek organizations.

“By offering tutoring help, study sessions, and awards for academic achievements, we really encourage our sisters to take their courses seriously,” said President Karolyn Maloney a senior information systems management major. Phi Sig was recognized for having the highest G.P.A. out of the greek organizations last spring.

The girls are also planning on working even harder on promotion, and attracting people to all their events. Some of these major events include the Rock-A-Thon and Adopt-A-Soldier, both run entirely by the sorority. They have extended their support to “retirement homes, girl scout troops, and Hamden clean-up,” Maloney said.

“We are incorporating new ideas and ways to promote our chapter in order to reach a broader spectrum of people,” Maloney said.

Tau Kappa Epsilon treasurer, junior finance major Ric Wallace attempts to explain the Greek life situation by saying, “From the outside looking in you can’t understand it, and from the inside looking out you can’t explain it.”

Accompanied by TKE president Craig Amell, a senior interactive digital design major, Wallace described the fraternity as “brotherhood-driven” and “a diverse group of guys.”

Amell points out that the fraternity looks at the individual, not the social status in order to “Try to find what defines a true TKE.”

The TKE boys are aiming to reach a state of national recognition. They have already received the honor of being known as one of the top chapters in the Northeast. But in a spirit of determination, they want more. Currently, they are setting up a Blood Drive. In addition, they will be doing White Ribbon, in which those who pledge “a movement of men to end men’s violence and degradation against women,” Wallace said.

These guys are really making a difference in our community.

“Yes, we value the social aspect, but we do more for the community than is realized,” said Amell.

Kappa Alpha Theta is the newest Greek organization on campus, is still trying to establish itself at Quinnipiac.

“Laying the foundation of our chapter has not been easy, but has definitely been exciting,” said president Rebecca Orsulak, a junior physician assistant major.

Theta has really reached out and connected with other groups on campus. “You can always look out for our “Theta Loves.” series. This series allows our chapter to highlight different groups on campus which we have appreciation for,” Orsulak said.

In addition, the girls of the sorority will be selling Candy Grams for their philanthropy, CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates), and running their kickball tournament for the same organization.

Overall, the Theta girls are ready and willing to take on the responsibility of building up their sorority.

“Implementing new annual philanthropy and service events as well as hosting our first formals are just mere gifts that come with the rare opportunity of being the pioneering sisters of Kappa Alpha Theta here at Quinnipiac,” Orsulak said.