‘Blonde’ a ‘fun, fresh musical’

On Oct. 14, “Legally Blonde the Musical” aired exclusively on MTV. The play was not too far of a contrast from the original movie that was released in 2001.

The movie, directed by Robert Luketic, starred Reese Witherspoon as Elle Woods. MTV showed the entire bubbly, dramatic and tickle-me-pink musical which took three taping sessions and starred Laura Bell Bundy as Elle, the blonde, ambitious and love-sick Malibu native who is giving law school a shot. Bundy’s high-pitched voice and ditzy demeanor may have sounded familiar to Broadway buffs, as she originated the role of Amber Von Tussle in “Hairspray”, and starred as Glinda in “Wicked.”

Her talent shined through once again in MTV’s broadcast, but may have only appealed to those with acquired taste. The plot of a sorority girl who only wears pink and follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard Law (“What, like it’s hard?!”) may not appeal to all MTV fans, but those with open minds and a “rosy” outlook on the show could have easily enjoyed the three hour broadcast.

While the musical may not be the typical Broadway production in that it does not feature a wide range of superior talent, strong vocals or superior acting; it was still a fun, fresh musical with “poppy” music and its fair share of high pitched squeals that perhaps pleased most fans in the young-teenage girl demographic.
    Songs such as “Omigod You Guys,” “Bend and Snap,” and the oh-so inspiring “Find My Way” all featured upbeat tempos, lead female vocals, and never failed to grab attention (and get the beat stuck in viewers’ heads, even if they couldn’t make out the words.)

Although the show may have failed to capture its entire audience for its three hour duration, it also featured backstage access to the cast members in their dressing rooms and while preparing for the show. It also had a “pink carpet” segment hosted by the girls from “The Hills” which highlighted and interviewed members of the performance. This was a treat to both those who are new to the blonde phenomenon, and those who have seen the play once, twice, or 10 times before.

All in all, this broadcast was a great opportunity for viewers all across the nation to virtually see an entire, current Broadway show free of charge and in the comfort of their own living rooms.

For those who prefer to see “Legally Blonde the Musical” live, it is currently playing at the Palace Theatre in Manhattan. Check www.legallyblondethemusical.com or www.ticketmaster.com for ticket information.