Do cell phones call for an unfriendly campus?

After grabbing some grub from Cafe Q, friends group together and proceed to sit down at a table. Almost a simultaneous reflex, everyone slips their cellular phones from their pockets and places them in the middle of a table, as if to expect an important call.

Most of the time however, there is no urgent call expected. In the event the phone does ring, vibrate, or start to play Kayne West’s “Stronger,” everything is interrupted and the phone is answered.

It can be argued that cell phone usage is excessive and can make for an unfriendly atmosphere around campus. The simple gesture of placing the cell phone in the middle of the table while eating with friends can be controversial.

“I love my cell phone, I use it just about every hour. Either a phone call or text message, depending on what I’m doing. I rarely forget my cell, and when I do I feel like I am cut off from the world,” said Megan Cram, a freshman occupational therapy major.

Which is valued more? Physically being with friends, or waiting for another to call?

In the year 2000, only 30% of students had cell phones. This tripled by the year 2005, and now practically 100% of college students have cell phones.

Originally the cell phone was used for basic communication, but over the years they have developed into computer-like devices. Features are now installed on cell phones that allow text messaging, picture/video messages, music downloads, internet access and e-mail capabilities.

Socially, cell phones are the primary means of communication for students across campus. As the years continue, cell phones are becoming more of a necessity.

At Quinnipiac, it is common to walk to class and have to dodge one or two students who aren’t paying attention because their faces are buried in their cell phones.

Though it is second nature for students of this decade, older generations are concerned with the cell phone epidemic making people unfriendly and less personal.

Some students, however, do not think this to be the case.

“Unfriendly? No way. If anything it makes us more friendly, we’re all talking to each other. I would never be offended if someone was using their cell phone,” Cram said.

The use of cell phones around college campuses has exploded over the past 10 years, and now it seems like almost everyone owns and frequently uses them. While walking around campus or even sitting in class it is typical for students to be rapidly text messaging, or glancing at their phones for a missed call. Talking on a cell phone is slowly becoming a bigger part of society, and soon will just be as routine as sitting in the Café to eat lunch.