Senioritis: the end of school epidemic

The word senioritis can’t be found in the dictionary, but it’s a very real thing. It has evolved into a way of life for many students trying to get through their last year of study. After more than three years of dealing with papers, projects and tests, it’s easy to understand.

Whether it’s declining concentration, effort, or both, most seniors will admit they have some form of senioritis. With the thoughts of graduation becoming more frequent, the idea of doing work becomes more tedious.

Senioritis can affect people in different ways. Some seniors say they are having trouble concentrating. Others say they just don’t have the will they once did to put in that extra effort.

One senior sees senioritis as a culmination of three years of experiences coming together to form a different state of mind.

“Many understand it as a sense of laziness,” senior Michael Turco said. “After three years, I understand it as an ability to mask that laziness and apathy with a facade of genuine hard work and academic interest.”

Whatever the definition of senioritis is, it can’t be denied that it affects a student’s psyche one way or another.

Knowing this year will be anything but easy to get through, many seniors try to make their final schedules as easy as possible. Unfortunately this isn’t the case for numerous seniors. Some even admit that the classes they are taking this year are the hardest yet.

So do seniors’ professors give any breaks knowing the mindset many of them have right now?

The answer is no, at least not yet. But while professors may not be going easy with the work, seniors find teachers helpful in other ways.

“They help you in terms of graduate school, law school, resumes, and jobs,” senior Jessica Giguere said.

While it may seem the senioritis bug hits just about anyone, some seniors, especially those heading off to graduate school following graduation, don’t feel as lethargic about their studies.

“I don’t really have senioritis,” said Nicole Young, a senior psycology major. “I’m planning on continuing my education after Quinnipiac so I don’t even think about that.”

Young said she probably would be less enthused with her work if she knew this was her last year. She also said that the year just started and her thoughts on the subject might change as the year progresses.

Senioritis is something that is nearly impossible to cure. As the winter months approach, seniors will no doubt have an even harder time concentrating on their studies as the thought of graduation becomes more of a reality.