Fall into the new semester

As the weather cools down and the leaves begin to fall, many QU students begin to wonder how to make the most of the autumn season. Homework and exams aside, Quinnipiac is offering plenty to do for the 2007 fall season, including concerts, carnivals, and comedians.

On Sunday, Oct. 21, Jack’s Mannequin and The Starting Line will be performing on campus at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 per student and $15 per guest and will go on sale Oct. 1.

If neither of these bands seem to catch your eye, the popular alternative group, Boys like Girls, will be performing at Toad’s Place in New Haven on Sept. 30.

For students looking for an alternative to concerts, the Student Programming Board will be hosting “Carnival Night,” on Sept. 29 in Alumni Hall. Here, students can play games, win prizes, and munch on popcorn and cotton candy.

Other SPB events include the popular movie line up, where films such as “Transformers” and “Hairspray” can be seen for no charge in Buckman Theater.

Sports fanatics will also be in for some fun this fall, “Midnight Madness” will be held for the first time at the new TD Banknorth Sports Center on Oct. 12. Here, students can scream, chant, and cheer for the beloved Bobcats as the men’s and women’s ice hockey teams as well as the men’s and women’s basketball teams kickoff their seasons.

After the sports excitement starts to settle, students can look forward to Parent’s Weekend. Held Oct. 14-16, the Quinnipiac community will open its doors to moms, dads, and siblings, letting them experience a weekend in the life of a QU student.

The weekend’s scheduled events include a student-sponsored food fair, a performing arts showcase, and a workshop on “Balancing Technical with People Skills.”

For students looking to get into the spirit of autumn, there are plenty of apple orchards in the area to enjoy.

In Hamden, there is Hindinger Farm located at 835 Dunbar Hill Rd. Close by in Cheshire, other popular orchards include Drazen Orchards on 251 Wallingford Rd., as well as Hickory Hills Orchards located at 351 South Menden Rd.

As for checking out the beautiful foliage, students are lucky to have the Sleeping Giant Park right in the campus’ back yard. Open from 8 a.m. until dusk, hikers and bikers alike can climb to the top of the mountain and see the red, orange, and yellow shades of the season.