QU professor writes new book

“Career Opportunities in Journalism”, the most recent book written by Jennifer Burns, the assistant dean of career services of the school of communications, is a valuable new resource for journalism students seeking employment.

Published in the spring of 2007 by Checkmark Books, “Career Opportunities in Journalism” is Burn’s second book. After the success of her first book, Burns was approached by Checkmark to see if she would be interested in writing another.

“Since I was interested in careers in journalism and had experience working with students looking for jobs in journalism, I was excited to do that,” Burns said.

The book is an assemblage of information based off of different people Burns spoke with and the internet research she conducted.

“It took a year to write, and it involved a lot of research. I spoke to people all around the country working in more than 70 different jobs within journalism,” Burns said. “I asked them about what their job was like, how they got into the field, and what advice they have for students trying to get into the field.”

From the perspective of potential journalists, the informative list of 77 different job titles might be the highlight of the book. The profiles contain information on “what the job is like, what the roles and responsibilities are, the education needed, the the typical salaries.”

However, Burns emphasizes in the book how a person will need to be able to adapt their skills to accommodate the evolution in the field of journalism due to technological progressions.