Security to students: Parking problems only temporary

The number one complaint of Quinnipiac students is parking on campus. As commuter students are learning, there are just not enough spots to fit them all.

After constantly filling North Lot, as well as the Hogan Road parking lot, campus security has let the overflow of commuting students park behind the Law School. But according to some this quick solution just isn’t good enough.

“Right now, parking is the number one issue I get complaints for,” SGA Vice President of Student Concerns, Andrew Clark said.

This semester in particular, the QU Concerns online drop-box (found at QUconcerns.com) has had more parking complaints than before.

“There’s always going to be a parking issue on a college campus . there’s never going to be enough spots to keep everyone happy,” Clark said. The committee members of QU Concerns have been communicating with security.

Ron Colavolpe, assistant chief security officer for parking & transportation, is working with all student opinions and objections. He said the parking situation on campus is difficult, but not uncommon.

“Due to class schedules, we seem to see heavy traffic on Tuesdays and Thursdays,” Colavolpe said.

SGA and QU concerns agree; there is an evident increase on the number of students who commute to campus, and expect to park in North Lot and Hogan Road lot.

According to Colavolpe, “We will not deny a commuter student [parking]… it may not be convenient to everyone, but there is space here on property.”

As of right now, that space is behind the Law School, but security hopes that will not become a permanent situation.

Behind commuter parking on the list of complaints, are the Hilltop and Westwoods parking lots. Though no students were denied registered parking passes, many juniors were not able to park in the Hilltop Lot. The New Village construction has taken over the third level of the Hilltop parking lot, and the space is now reserved for construction vehicles and workers.

“We expect the construction to continue the rest of this semester,” Colavolpe said. He plans to be able to give all juniors Hilltop parking by next semester.

However, this semester, these juniors are allowed to park in Westwoods. Security is trying to take the measures to fix these issues students have.

“I know a lot of students are unhappy with their parking arrangements,” Colavolpe said. “I just ask them to please be patient; I will do the best I can to accommodate.”