Kanye West vs. 50 Cent

Two mainstream hip-hop artists are competing head to head to see who will sell the most albums, with one claiming he will end his rap career if he is outsold. 50 Cent’s “Curtis” and Kanye West’s “Graduation” were released Tuesday, Sept. 11. While West accepts this friendly competition, 50 Cent took the rivalry to the next step and declared that if West sells more albums, he will retire.

“I’m not surprised that statement came from him,” Hannah Nelson, a junior nursing major said. Ryan Granger, junior biology major said, “He is stupid for ending his career because someone else sells more albums.”

50 Cent is known for his street and club songs and always stirring up trouble within the hip-hop community, such as his beef with Ja Rule. In 2005, “The Massacre”, his previous album, sold 1.14 million copies in four days.

West takes his music to a deeper level and raps on the subjects such as his life, family and success. His last album “Late Registration” was released in 2005 and sold 860,000 copies in its first week.

Originally, both artists’ albums were not set to be released on the same day. However, “Graduation” was shifted from Sept. 18 to Sept. 11 and “Curtis” moved from Sept. 4 to Sept. 11. Junior media production major Aisha Johnson feels their competition is, “A publicity stunt so they can get more money.”

So which artist will sell more albums? Nursing major, Ashley Brown plans on buying West’s “Graduation”. In response to 50 Cent threatening to retire if West sells more, Brown feels, “If you truly love music and your fans, you won’t base your music career on another artist’s success.”