Survey: TD Banknorth above average

According to a survey conducted by five Quinnipiac business students, 65 percent of students and members of the surrounding Hamden community believe that the TD Banknorth Sports Center is above average.

The student group, which included juniors Matt Cayer, Elizabeth Dipple, Anthony LaVita, William Miller and Travis Smith, surveyed more than 500 students and members of the community about their feelings on the new sports center that opened Jan. 27.

Seventy-one percent of participants also said that men’s hockey games are their favorite athletic events to attend.

Though the sports center drew record crowds for hockey and basketball games, the survey reveals that even more students and community members plan to attend the games next year. Twenty-five percent say they will attend 10 or more games next year and 76 percent say that they are more interested as a whole in Quinnipiac athletics.

Val Belmonte, vice president of atheltic marketing and external relations, said that he is pleased with these results.

“Our students can act as the sixth man on the court or the seventh man on the ice,” he said.

Survey particpants think that the increased interest in athletics will lead to better merchandise sales. Fifty-two percent said that they think more Quinnipiac apparel will be purchased. “It is the centerpiece of the marketing strategy and the footprint for the new campus,” said Michelle Stronz, visiting instructor of management.

Though no vote was brought before the town of Hamden prior to the sports center’s contruction, 90 percent of residents say they would have approved plans to build it had they been asked.

Reporting performed by Matt Cayer, Elizabet Dipple, Anthony LaVita, Willaim Miller and Travis Smith.