Comedian Pete Lee promises laughs at QU

Comedian Pete Lee may not have been the “Last Comic Standing,” but this self-proclaimed “wimpy but mean” comedian promises to deliver a winning act.

After working in advertising for some time, Lee discovered that his true passion lied with comedy and acting. Lee was a semi-finalist on season six of NBC’s reality series “Last Comic Standing.” While he was not quite the last comic standing, Lee’s career has been doing just fine. In addition to performing at countless comedy clubs in front of packed audiences, Comedy Central frequently airs Lee’s comedy special.

“I talk about being an underdog,” Lee said of his act. “I encourage kids to get in touch with their inner mean side.”

Photo credit: PeteLee.net

Although he may look cute and harmless, Lee has a fascination with meanness.

“Mean things are really funny; I have a lot of mean thoughts that are funny,” Lee said.

Meanness, however, is not the only topic that fascinates him. Fellow comedians like Chris Rock, Ellen DeGeneres, Bo Burnham, Chet Daniels, and Nick Swardson intrigue Lee, as well.

Surprisingly, Lee has never gotten in trouble for any of his jokes. Lee told one of his most controversial jokes in New Orleans not too long after Hurricane Katrina. The joke involved nicknaming a friend Snoopy because all he could think of was Snoopy sitting on top of his house. Following the performance, Lee received several e-mails from audience members thanking him for making light of tragedy.

“It tells you how powerful humor is,” Lee said. “At the end of the day, my comedy is all about bringing people together, not about offending people.”

And with his upcoming performance at Quinnipiac, Lee promises students a night of no-stress and nonstop laughter.

“I hope [students] just have an hour that they spend laughing while they escape a little bit,” Lee said. “When it comes to comedy, I think it’s OK to sort of let it all out for an hour.”

Pete Lee is scheduled to perform at Quinnipiac on Saturday, Feb. 6 at 8 p.m. in Café Q.