‘College Cooking’ turns co-eds into culinary masters

Megan and Jill Carle, sisters from Arizona State University, are no strangers to the kitchen. In high school, they penned two successful cookbooks: “Teens Cook” and “Teens Cook Dessert.” Now, the pair’s most recent book, “College Cooking,” is helping students everywhere get away from fast food and learning to cook just like mom.

The sisters were inspired to write the book after they moved into their first dorm rooms and realized that on top of having very little money and supplies with which to do so, none of their roommates knew how to cook. They began preparing nightly meals for friends and roommates and discovered some handy shortcuts along the way.

Fast forward to the sections of “College Cooking” that instruct clueless co-eds on how to cook difficult veggies like broccoli and asparagus, how to use a simple saucepan to do everything from boil water to stir-fry and even quick tips for bargain shoppers. The Carles list what every college kitchen should have (they suggest buying blended spices so you won’t have to purchase a whole spice rack) and even have chapters on “Avoiding the Freshman Fifteen,” making mom’s comfort food, food to impress your date, dessert recipes, “Cheap Eats” and recipes for holidays and themed parties like Oktoberfest, Cinco De Mayo, toga parties and even 80s night.

All of the recipes are quick and easy to prepare and each chapter is written in a light and entertaining tone so it’s just as fun to read as it is to follow. Try a What’s-in-the-Fridge Frittata or Salmon cakes with potato wedges and finish with Mini Blueberry Turnovers or Chocolate Pear Tart to complete the meal.

Megan Carle is majoring in German and French, her two favorite languages, has traveled to France and has been an exchange student in Germany. Jill is majoring in history and political science and has also traveled extensively but still retains a supreme appreciation for All-American comfort food.

College Cooking is published by Ten Speed Press and is available from book retailers for $19.95.