Letter to the Editor: Despite loss, men’s hockey impressive on and off the ice

Quinnipiac University’s men’s hockey team showed more than their athletic abilities during the ECAC tournament. They showed appreciation and respect for the University, their coaches, their fans and their opponents. Their actions before and after the games were in the highest traditions of sportsmanship. Seeing them hug each other after losing in the championship game, and then going on to congratulate Clarkson – with sincerity – was a special sight for those who know that “class” is an obvious quality among the Bobcats.

Head coach Rand Pecknold has taught his team a lot more than hockey. Watching him talk to his players individually on the ice after the game showed the warm side of the man who has taken the men’s hockey program to national prominence.

On a personal note, through the season at Northford Ice Pavilion and the TD Banknorth Sports Center, as well as at Albany’s Times Union Center, I watched the players and others associated with the team treat my rink-rat grandchildren so royally. Four of them – ages 2, 4, 8 and 10 – were on hand for the Friday and Saturday practices and games, collecting numerous pucks from the players and others who work with the team. The kids, in their Quinnipiac attire, exchanged “high fives” as the players went on and off the ice. After the championship game, team captain Reid Cashman, as he left the ice, gave his stick to one of my grandsons. You can imagine what that meant to my grandkids and to the rest of our family.

Next season can’t come soon enough!

Kenn Venit
School of Communications
Adjunct Associate Professor