Robert Bruce Memorial Scholarship established

The communications honor society Lambda Pi Eta has joined forces with the School of Communications in sponsoring the Robert Bruce Memorial Scholarship.

Members of the honor society are accepting donations on behalf of the scholarship from Monday through Friday, from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., at tables in the hallway between the student center and Tator Hall. The group began its effort on Monday, Feb. 26 and plans to continue it until Friday, March 23, said Stephanie Pensa, president of the Quinnipiac chapter of Lambda Pi Eta.

“We decided as an organization to help the School of Communications to raise money for this wonderful cause,” said Pensa, a junior journalism major from Franklin Lakes, N.J.

Students can donate by giving cash, writing a check or making a transaction on their Q-card, she said. The honor society encourages all students to donate to the fund, Pensa said.

“Whether students give a few pennies or write a check, we’re just trying to work hard to support the fund,” she said. The honor society had received more than $100 in donations through Friday, March 2, Pensa said. She hopes to raise “at least $500.”

The scholarship is in memory of Quinnipiac freshman Robert Bruce, who died of injuries sustained in a car crash in December. The money raised in the scholarship will be given to Lewiston High School in Maine, where Bruce attended high school.

The School of Communications established the scholarship in January and publicized it through a monthly e-mail newsletter to the approximately 1,200 students who are enrolled in the school. Students can also contribute to the scholarship by seeing the secretaries in the Ed McMahon School of Communications.