Current Craze (Sept. 12)

By: Anna CiacciarellaVincent Ciacciarella

More Than Makeup – Celebrating Diversity

Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty line is finally here, and has already received a lot of attention. The singer launched her line on Sept. 7, and people are heading to Sephora stores and website to make their purchases. The line has been advertised on the Fenty Beauty website as a collection “inspired by women of all shades, attitudes, and cultures.” Rihanna is working to break the generalization that makeup is only for women with light skin, and therefore released a vast array of shades. She refers to it as her “passion project.” While the mainstream makeup industry still has ways to go before offering equal shades for all skin tones, this is a huge win.

Everyone’s Favorite Fall Flavor

As we all know, it’s getting to that time of year where pumpkin-flavored everything rolls out. While some may categorize it as a “basic” flavor, no one can deny the hype during this time of year. Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte is its most popular seasonal drink, and its fame continues to grow. A combination of media influence and social hype make this flavor appealing to other companies such as Dunkin Donuts and even McDonald’s. On Sept. 11, Edy’s Ice Cream announced that it is releasing a Pumpkin Spice Latte soon for a limited time only. Anticipation for the annual return adds to the flavor’s spotlight, making September a prime time for sales of pumpkin products.

Unity Through Music

Ariana Grande, Justin Timberlake, Pharrell and more artists are participating in The Charlottesville Benefit Concert to help promote justice and unity. The concert will take place Sep. 24 at the University of Virginia. The concert is free and donations are encouraged to assist the victims and families of those involved with the Charlottesville, Virginia events. White supremacists and counter-demonstrators clashed, causing a local state of emergency, the death of Heather Heyer and the injuries of more than 19 others. This encouraged The Dave Matthews Band to host the event, as they are originally from the area. The concert is aimed to enforce unity, and illustrates artists’ desire to come together after such devastating events.