Chronicle Review: Movie ‘Music and Lyrics’ hits all the right notes

As the opening scene begins to roll, you may think you are watching an MTV 80s music video. However, to those who weren’t thrilled with the 80s, don’t be discouraged. You will be laughing in no time as you see the once-famous Alex Fletcher (Hugh Grant) in his band POP! singing to the cheesy song “Pop Goes my Heart” and dancing while busting out hip thrusts and mortifying motorcycle moves in the band’s music video.

Bringing you back to present time, you see Alex talking to his manager, played by Brad Garrett (also known for his role on “Everybody Loves Raymond”) about upcoming gigs he will perform from fairs to amusement parks and even high school reunions. He’s a stereotypical candidate for “The Surreal Life” and he’s even offered a mock show where old has-been stars battle each other in boxing.

Struggling without a hit and having little pride left, he has an amazing opportunity to write and perform a song with Cora Corman (Haley Bennett), who is a Christina Aguilera-type singer, but even more famous. The offer is an amazing comeback opportunity for Alex, but there is one major problem: he hasn’t written a song in years and he needs to come up with lyrics to Cora’s new hit single in just a matter of a few days.

Enter Sophie Fisher, played by Drew Barrymore, filling in for his plant lady (yes, he has a plant lady) the next few days. Inspired by her weird, yet refreshingly charming ways, the spark ignites and the two team up to come up with a hit. It wasn’t easy at first, since she was crushed by heartache from an author who ruined her reputation and made her nervous to write anything or think she was even good at writing.

As a relationship forms, the comedy unravels. Kristen Johnston (“Third Rock from the Sun”) plays Sophie’s married older sister and adds more comedy with her infatuation for her old heartthrob Alex.

“Music and Lyrics” is a touching and irresistible comedy. You can’t help but laugh and believe the chemistry between these two very different characters. Be sure to stick around at the end when the credits are rolling: you won’t regret the hilarious “pop up video” montage of events you don’t see.

For future warning, there is one annoying factor about this movie. You will be humming the mock bubble gum 80s song “Pop Goes my Heart” on the car ride home.