The Cafeteria or La Casita?

Since coming to college you may have noticed that the whole perception of what constitutes as an actual date can take on many different meanings. It can be this elaborate plan thought of a week in advance to go out to a fancy restaurant, or simply a last-minute spontaneous trip to the cafeteria. Here are the top ten places to go on a date in the Hamden/New Haven area.

The cafeteria is the most simple yet probably the most practical idea for a date. Many of us have used the line “hey, do you wanna grab some lunch or something tomorrow?” The “or something” is what officially makes this a date. A date on top of the mountain at Sleeping Giant State Park is a spot that has many great elements. Time alone to talk, physical activity and a beautiful view. If you want to be really classy, a little snack of mountain food such as granola bars and water could take this date to a whole new level. It is my personal favorite and a must-do for all Quinnipiac students.

The TD Banknorth Sports Center for a hockey or basketball game can make a great date. This one also falls into the practicality category. Hey, you’re going to go to the game anyway, you might as well sit near someone you’ve had your eye on. It’s also a good icebreaker and nearly foolproof because since it is difficult to tell whether or not it’s a date, it’s very tough to get shot down.

Applebees, Friday’s or Chili’s are always a good idea because this is a casual type of dining. It sends a message that you could possibly be interested but also want to keep the friendly atmosphere you established. I suggest inviting other friends to come along to keep the conversation and good times lively.

If you take your date to the Olive Garden or Eli’s, chances are this isn’t the first date. This is for the more serious and sophisticated dining experience. Dress up all fancy and order the steak.

For something other than food, I suggest the Eli Whitney Museum. This is a good place to go in order to learn about the history of the town of Hamden and see some nice art. This is also a great opportunity to show your smarter side to your date.

The Hamden Symphony Orchestra is a change of pace and a nice way to show you have some substance and can appreciate the finer things in life, or at least make the other person think that you do.

If all else fails, movies are the old standby. Solid but strong. However, it’s a great idea to get off campus and do something that doesn’t occur too often at college.

For those of you who don’t know, La Casita is a great little untapped resource down by Yale. Take the New Haven shuttle to the second stop and you will fall right into this gem. Put on your sombrero and tiene un buen tiempo (have a good time).

For the experienced dater, may I suggest the Days Inn. Don’t take this as a sleazy or perverted date idea. If you have a significant other coming for a visit, it’s a great way to spend some quality time with them without bothering your roommates. Rent a room and let your imagination run wild. For best results I suggest doing one of the other ten before attempting this one.