Burglaries put campus on alert

Some cunning thieves scored a touchdown Super Bowl Sunday.

Four dorm rooms were burglarized Feb. 4 during the big game, said a spokesman for Quinnipiac security. The burglars took a computer, a purse, several DVDs and at least one iPod.

In each of the four incidents, students reported having left the doors to their rooms open, said John Twining, chief of security.

“We left the back door open, which we do not usually do. And, by coincidence, I had left my own door open,” said Tricia Comblo, a criminal justice major, who lives in the Hill.

Twining recommended that students make sure their doors are closed and locked. Super Bowl Sunday burglaries, he said, are not a new occurrence.

“I imagine this [spate of thefts] has happened for at least the last three or four Super Bowls,” he said.

In the aftermath of the thefts, university security officials have met with resident assistants to tell them about the thefts as well as to advise their own students to take precautions to lessen the likelihood of theft from their dorm rooms. These precautions include being aware of one’s surroundings, locking doors and windows and reporting any suspicious persons or activities to security guards.

“Quinnipiac’s crime rate is next to nil, but that does not mean everyone who comes here has a ‘G’ hanging over them to signify they’re a good guy,” Twining said. “If someone sees someone who they don’t recognize, either confront the person or call security right away.”

Comblo and her suitemates unknowingly left the door to their Hill residence hall suite open for a period of about one and one-half to two hours while they attended a Super Bowl party with friends in a nearby dorm. Comblo, a junior from Larchmont, N.Y., had also left open the door of her individual room. Upon returning to her residence, Comblo discovered her electronics had been stolen.

She said she does not think the thief or thieves are targeting any rooms in particular.

In the days since the burglary, Comblo has been careful to make sure she locks all the doors of her suite. Commending the way university security officers are handling her case, she wants other students to avoid being victims of theft.

“If you see someone who does not belong on campus, you need to tell security,” she said.