Women’s basketball wins for first time at new arena

The Quinnipiac women’s basketball team faced a tough test Saturday against Mount St. Mary’s, but won, 54-50, thanks in part to a strong effort by junior Monique Lee. She had a double-double in the victory with 17 points and 11 rebounds and got the Bobcats out to a quick start by scoring their first four points of the game. With the win, Quinnipiac improves to 13-7 overall and 7-4 in Northeast Conference play, while Mount St. Mary’s falls to 8-13 overall and 6-5 within the conference.

Quinnipiac started the game playing tough defense that led to several steals and easy layups. The Bobcats led 27-23 at the half, with Lee and Erin Kerner combining for 18 of their first-half points. Kerner would leave the game, however, with 5:11 remaining in the first half. She came back to the court after the game to congratulate her teammates with a cast on her right leg.

Mount St. Mary’s kept it close in the first half thanks to 15 points on five-of-six shooting from 3-point range by Dominique Mazzuchi. She came into the game averaging only 6.9 points, but would finish with 25 and a new Mount St. Mary’s record with eight 3-pointers.

The second half began at a fast pace and both teams turned the ball over several times on their first few possessions. With 7:08 remaining in the half, the Mount took their first and only lead off back-to- back 3-pointers from Mazzuchi and Brianna Gauthier to make the score 42-41. Quinnipiac responded with seven straight points ,which was capped off with a layup and free throw by Brianna Rooney, who filled in for Kerner at point guard in the second half. Tiffany Green then hit a layup to make the score 48-44 with 3:22 remaining. Following a layup by Lee, Green hit a long 3-pointer to pull the Mount to within three points with 33 seconds remaining.

Brianna Rooney was fouled by Green and was able to hit the first half of a one and one, making the score 51-47. The rebound of Rooney’s second free throw resulted in a jump ball and possession stayed with the Bobcats. Rooney was fouled again and would hit one of two free throws again to put the Mount away.

For the ‘Cats, Rooney finished with seven points and six rebounds, Krystal Lazos had eight points and seven rebounds and Mandy Pennewell had 10 points and four rebounds.

The win was the first for the team at the new TD Banknorth Sports Center. Before the game, Lee was presented with an award by head coach Tricia Fabbri and Athletic Director Jack McDonald for scoring her 1,000th career point and becoming just the fifth Bobcat to do so in the team’s Division I history.