Editor Speaks Out: Too much holiday spirit?

Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against Christmas. It’s a jolly time of year when people get together with their families and enjoy the winter weather. I love driving around local neighborhoods and seeing all the houses lit up. Even the overdone houses are fun to see. One family in my hometown puts big bows all over their house and lawn. I never knew so many red velvet bows existed. Decorations are great and it’s wonderful how people look forward to the Christmas season, but there is one thing that I consider too much holiday spirit.

I’m glad people like Christmas music and I’m constantly amazed at how practically every artist who ever existed has released at least one Christmas album. I do not understand why so many radio stations that ordinarily broadcast great music insist on playing nothing but Christmas songs for at least a month before the holiday itself. Sure, people want to get excited for Christmas, but constant Christmas songs all day every day is a little much.

The worst offender is a Long Island radio station that I listen to at home. I’m almost positive that it started playing Christmas music the week after Halloween. One of the Connecticut stations has the right idea. It plays its normal regimen of music and adds in a few Christmas songs every hour. It still claims to be Connecticut’s Christmas Headquarters, and I think it’s a legitimate claim.

Personally, I celebrate Hanukkah. I look forward to it all year and especially once December begins. I look forward to spending time with my family and celebrating the heroic story that the holiday represents. I love the games and the food associated with Hanukkah.

Musically, Hanukkah is pretty lacking. There is Adam Sandler’s series of Hanukkah songs and the ever popular “I Have a Little Dreidel,” but that’s about it for well-known tunes. Even so, if there were entire albums of famous Hanukkah songs, I wouldn’t want to hear them 24/7 before the holiday actually started. I listen to Hanukkah music right before and during the holiday so I’m not already sick of all things Hanukkah by the time it’s time to celebrate.

As for now, I will have to continue to limit my radio listening to certain stations and be prepared to change my presets until December 26. I just wonder if these radio executives realize that not all of their listeners celebrate Christmas and if they have thought of compromising on playing some Christmas music instead of playing it all the time. Some of their Christmas-celebrating listeners might even be happier with such a compromise.

I guess many radio stations have taken on the mentality of Wal-Mart, which after one year of saying “Happy Holidays” in its stores has decided “Merry Christmas” is a much better holiday greeting. In our wonderful country that prides itself on religious freedom and acceptance, it seems that majority still rules.