Wehye Honored By Conference

Chris Wehye says he began playing basketball at age six.

If his performance during the Bobcats’ upset bid of No.18 UConn last Friday was any indication, Wehye won’t be done anytime in the near future.

Wehye, a silky-smooth combo forward who is versatile enough to be utilized as a guard, dropped a game-high 17 points, connecting on 5-of-10 from the floor and 6-of-7 from the charity stripe. He also grabbed eight boards.

It’s the second time in as many seasons that Wehye has shined against the national power that plays 40 minutes up the Interstate. Wehye went off for 16 points and 16 rebounds against the Huskies’ NBA-talent laced lineup in 2005. Though the Bobcats lost by 36 in that game, Wehye hit big threes in crucial transitions during a valiant first half fight which saw them take the lead multiple times.

For his play on Friday night, Wehye garnered Choice Hotels NEC Player of the Week honors. It was announced Nov. 13 by the Northeast Conference.

“I love Chris Wehye because he can beat people off the dribble,” coach Joe DeSantis said in his post-game address on Friday. “We know in a game like this he’s going to have an offensive mismatch because (UConn) is going to send out two monsters like (UConn big man) Jeff Adrien, and I think it’s hard for them to stop Chris off the dribble.”

The lefty scored on a fast break lay-in (off of a DeMario Anderson steal and feed) which trimmed the lead to four. This was before Adam Gonzalez’ three ignited the Bobcat bench like a firecracker, as QU pulled within two points of the nationally recognized foes for the first time in the history of the eight-year rivalry.

With his selection as the conference’s Player of the Week, Wehye ends a serious drought. Prior to this, a men’s basketball player hadn’t earned the honor since former standout Rob Monroe on Jan. 17, 2005.

Wehye and the Bobcats look for their first win Wednesday night as they take on Division-II Concordia in their home-opener.