Woodie Awards recognize college music, students

It all started at around 6:30 p.m. on a chilly Wednesday evening at Roseland Ballroom in New York City. Bands gathered outside for the mtvU Woodie Awards and waited as their photographs were taken before walking down the press line, and college students eagerly geared up to ask their favorite artists questions.

Luckily for those college students, most of the bands stopped by each person, gladly obliging to answer as many questions as they had, even though the students were instructed to ask about two or three. An hour and a half quickly passed, and it was then that the bands were ushered inside in order to find their proper seats.

The show started promptly at 8 p.m. and Imogen Heap, a self-proclaimed “eclectica” artist from England, opened the show with a chilling rendition of “Hide and Seek.” The applause that followed was practically deafening, but not too much of a surprise considering the audience that crowded inside the venue could have been described as cars stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Next up was Beck, who was joined on stage by marionettes who mirrored his and his bands every move. His performances of “E-Pro” and “Nausea” were followed by thunderous applause and screams of excitement. Following Beck were mtvU “Freshman Five” alums Gym Class Heroes who opened with their single “The Queen and I” and then collaborated with William Beckett of “Woodie”-nominated The Academy Is. for a special performance of “Cupid’s Chokehold,” which holds the record for the biggest video premiere ever on mtvU.com.

TV on the Radio was the last to perform, signing off to the college crowd with “Province” and “Wolf Like Me.”

The big winners of the night were college favorites 30 Seconds to Mars, Plain White T’s, Taking Back Sunday, Angels and Airwaves, and O.A.R. But it was with a host of emerging and influential artists, including Lupe Fiasco, Ghostface Killah, Slug of the band Atmosphere and Murs, that stood side-by-side with college students, who actually presented “Woodie” awards to each of the night’s winners.

The 2006 mtvU Woodie Awards will premiere on mtvU November 2nd at 8 p.m. ET and be simulcast on-air and online. In addition, for the first time, a special half-hour version of the “Woodies” will also air on MTV and MTV2, with the MTV premiere set for November 4th at 10 p.m., and an encore performance on MTV2 scheduled for November 5th at 11 p.m.

A complete list of the winners can be found at mtvU.com.