Student apathy leaves Dems’ event with an empty feeling

The QU Democrats sponsored an apathy awareness event on Friday afternoon to help raise political knowledge for QU students, but hardly anyone showed up.

The event was originally supposed to be held from noon to 4 p.m. in the Complex Courtyard, with a free barbeque and refreshments. However, due to rainy weather and lack of student participation, the event was held in Alumni Hall and only went until 3 p.m.

Student members of QU Democrats hoped an event like this would help rid apathy on campus.

“I believe events like this will help people realize they can’t be so apathetic,” said Parker Williams, a freshman liberal arts major. “If you want change and a better quality of life, you have to throw yourself out there.”

The event also had tables set up for different clubs on campus and several campaigns currently going on around the state. There were tables where students could become involved in several campaigns, including those of Ned Lamont and John DeStefano, as well as G.L.A.S.S. and Residence Hall Council. The QU Democrats also had a table where students could register to vote.

“Students don’t have time to read the newspaper, and events like this bring information to the students so they don’t have to go out and find it by themselves,” said Nikki Therrien, a junior and secretary of QU Democrats.

Another QU Democrats member mirrored this opinion. “We are bringing the information to the students,” said Jessica Johnson, a junior media production major. “All they have to do is come to Alumni instead of searching the newspaper or Internet.”

According to Johnson, several students showed up a little before 1 p.m., but that was the most visitors they received. She did say that they got several students to register to vote, however. Unfortunately for the QU Democrats, a political event on a rainy Friday afternoon in Alumni Hall on an already apathetic campus was just not as successful as some would have hoped.

“This is an issue that needs to be addressed on campus so that people are more prepared for the real world, because they’re in this bubble,” said Mark Bouchard, a freshman and vice president of the QU Democrats, in terms of student apathy on campus.

To become involved in the QU Democrats, contact [email protected]. Meetings are on Mondays in Echlin 110 at 5 p.m.