Women’s volleyball dominates Fairleigh Dickinson

Womens volleyball dominates Fairleigh Dickinson

The Quinnipiac volleyball team snapped its three-game losing streak on Wednesday night at Burt Kahn Court against Fairleigh Dickinson, improving to 6-4 on the season. With the win, the Bobcat’s have matched their highest win total in the last 13 years.

[media-credit id=2147 align=”alignright” width=”200″]img_7783[/media-credit]

In one of the best performances of her career at Quinnipiac, junior Elizabeth Kloos finished the game with 16 kills on 27 attempts and a .444 hitting percentage. Freshman Natalie Alechko and sophomore Kat Miller also had career nights with 12 kills each, combining for almost half of the team’s total kills. The Bobcats as a whole led beat the Knights (0-7) with 76 points, 55 assists, and 59 kills with a .270 hitting percentage.

Kloos started her dominance early, leading the team with six kills and three blocks in the first set.

“She’s the captain for a reason,” head coach Kris Czaplinski said. “She’s the motor of the team and when she’s in the middle, the opponent has to gameplan against her.”

Miller also added five kills and was a crucial part of the unstoppable offense as Bobcat’s took the first set 25-17.

The second set was a tug-and-pull battle of lead changes between the Bobcats and Knights. It came down to the wire as the Bobcat’s squeezed by with a 27-25 win. Sophomore Jen Coffey led the team to a second set win with five kills.

The Bobcats opened up to an early 12-6 lead in the third set, but allowed the Knights to come back as Fairleigh Dickinson took the third set with a score of 25-23.

“We were up 17-11 and thought we would win from there,” Kloos said. “Instead of pushing harder, we let up. They’re a strong team and you can’t give a team like that the opportunity to come back.”

Fairleigh Dickinson couldn’t seem to find an answer to Quinnipiac’s dominant offense in the fourth and final set of the contest. The Bobcat’s opened the set up on a 6-0 run and controlled the rest of set, winning 25-14.

The team’s sixth win matches their highest win total in the last 13 years. The last time Quinnipiac had more than six wins was in 2002 when they finished 10-15. The Bobcats will now head to Providence, Rhode Island on Friday as they take on La Salle University at 5 p.m.

“We’ve got a shot of winning all three games this upcoming weekend and if we focus on the details of the game there won’t be any issues,” Czaplinski said.