Women’s soccer dominates Delaware State 6-2

Quinnipiac women’s soccer remained undefeated at home after a commanding 6-2 victory over Delaware State on Sunday afternoon.

“We finished our chances, which we haven’t been doing consistently of late,” head coach Dave Clarke said. “Even though we’ve scored goals, we’ve created more chances.”

[media-credit id=2147 align=”alignright” width=”300″]IMG_7241[/media-credit]

Senior Sarah Pandolfi lead the way with 2 goals in the contest. Sophomore Nadya Gill tacked on a goal and an assist while freshman Ally Grunstein set a Quinnipiac Division I single-game record with 3 assists.

From the get-go, scoring chances and offensive opportunities were plentiful in this matchup for the Bobcats.

Just 3:33 into the match, Gill finished off a crisp passing play between Pandolfi and junior Jillian Consolini to open up the scoring.

It only took six minutes for Quinnipiac to find twine again. This time senior Jess Fontaine followed up on a shot that hit the post to score her first goal of the season and put the Bobcats up 2-0.

Although the game looked to be all Quinnipiac early on, Delaware State answered with a goal of its own just two minutes later to cut the lead in half.

“Human nature is, when you go up a couple of goals you take your foot off the gas,” Clarke said. “Our team, we have to learn to maintain that consistency.”

Fortunately for the Bobcats, the consistent offensive pressure continued as Pandolfi scored her first of the match to give Quinnipiac a 3-1 lead midway through the half.

And it didn’t stop there.

With just under 12 minutes to play in the opening period, Gill crossed a ball to sophomore Al Pelletier who made no mistake finding the back of the net for a 4-1 lead.

One minute later, the Hornets kept buzzing and found a way to narrow their deficit to 4-2 before the end of first half action.

Through one half, Quinnipiac heavily outshot Delaware State 17-2, a plan that was worked out ahead of Sunday afternoon’s tilt.

“Coming out, our main goal was to get a certain amount of shots off,” Gill said. “As an offensive unit we tried to shoot as much as we could.”

The offense continued to shoot and generate production in the second half.

Just 1:54 into the final half of play, Pandolfi placed a perfect kick just under the bar for her second goal of the game and gave the Bobcats a 5-1 lead.

“[Joanna Proctor] had passed me the ball and I took a shot that I didn’t really think would go in,” Pandolfi said of her second scoring play. “A lot of credit goes to the defense who passed the ball up for that.”

Proctor was one of 11 substitutions in this game for the Bobcats.

Clarke sees his substitutes’ contributions as a valuable asset moving forward.

“We got a lot of players in, we have competition for places,” Clarke said. “We were able to put players on to give them that opportunity to show what they can do.”

Finally in the 75th minute, sophomore Katrina Friedman found the back of the net after Delaware State goalkeeper Michele Lammers bobbled the initial cross. Friedman’s tally was the last of the game, but the first of her collegiate career.

In total, Quinnipiac racked up 25 shots to Delaware State’s 4 and outmuscled the Hornets en route to its 6-2 win.

Next up, the Bobcats take on Bryant University on the road in hopes of further progressing before beginning MAAC play later in September.