‘Jack’s Mannequin’ on tour for a cure

Jack’s Mannequin’s frontman Andrew McMahon is a believer in music healing all wounds.

McMahon, a recent cancer survivor, is now in remission and is using music to bounce back after having a long and difficult year.

Jack’s Mannequin is a side project started by McMahon after his previous band, Something Corporate, took a break. The band is teaming up with Copeland, Daphne Loves Derby and The Hush Sound to “Tour for the Cure.”

“Tour for the Cure” is a benefit tour where the net sales of ticket proceeds are going to The Dear Jack Foundation, founded by McMahon to fund cancer research. The tour began Sept. 6 in Houston and will tour throughout 19 different cities ending Oct. 12. On Sept. 27, the tour will be stopping in Hartford at the Webster Theater.

“The truth is Something Corporate hasn’t really ended, I guess we just came to a point where we got tired and scaled back our touring,” McMahon said. “But I never really stopped writing.and I think it’s a benefit because of the spontaneity of the lyrics for Jack’s Mannequin. That’s what makes it how it is.”

The band performed at the Webster Theater in the past as Something Corporate. However, this will be their first time performing there as Jack’s Mannequin. McMahon said he’s eager to show the fans what they’ve been working on.

“The new show has a lot more bells and whistles,” McMahon said. “Cool arrangements, keyboard sounds, new string arrangements…”

McMahon’s influences for this album were “the classics” like the Beach Boys and Bob Dylan.

“I think we’ve worked really hard and have a nice set,” McMahon continued. “We play a lot of songs, and we have a great lighting show.I think it’s an awesome wrap. I think everyone feels like we’re doing a good job… It’s cool that we get the chance to let our fans contribute to something that’s good for other people.”

Jack’s Mannequin does more than just play music. They participate in walks in between tour stops in an effort to help raise money for cancer research.

“My hope is… I want to donate anywhere close to $100,000,” McMahon said. “We can really have a positive effect on research and if we beat that number I think that’s even more amazing.”