Wahlberg scores in new movie

If it wasn’t a true story I don’t know if most movie goers would have believed the legend of Philadelphia Eagle Vince Papale, portrayed in the newest Disney film “Invincible.”

If you enjoy the classic underdog story, you will likely enjoy watching Papale rise to the occasion both on the field and off.

Papale, who is played by former rapper-turned-actor Mark Wahlberg, is down on his luck after being left by his wife and losing his teaching job. After a less than mediocre season the Philadelphia Eagles new coach, Dick Vermeil, played by Greg Kinnear, holds an open call for all those interested in trying out for the team.

Kinnear does a fine job of capturing the passion and determination of a coach who is looking to turn a group of discouraged players who can’t seem to win a game into a victorious team.

After much persuasion by his friends, Papale, who is looking to find meaning in his life, decides to try out for the team he has been an avid fan of for years. Despite having only played one year of high school football, Papale beats the odds and earns a spot as an Eagle.

30-year-old Papale is forced to prove to his teammates, as well as Vermeil, that he is a valuable asset to the team. proving himself on the football field not only as an athlete but of someone of great character.

Wahlberg brought both talent and heart to the role and the film seemed more realistic due to the accurate football game scenes, the rowdy fans, and especially the convincing acting by Papale’s teammates who constantly discourage him from pursuing his dream of gaining a spot on the team.

The plot line of “Invincible” was nothing out of the ordinary in regards to sports movies, but that did not make it any less exciting to watch. The journey of a man find meaning in his life simply by playing the sport he loved never seems to get old.

“Invincible” ranks right up there with such classics as “Remember the Titans” and “Miracle,” but don’t expect to be sitting at the edge of your seat this time around.

If you are looking for a light-hearted film, or even some inspiration to fulfill your own wildest dream, you will not be disappointed with “Invicible.”