New campus dubbed York Hill

Since the initial announcement to expand the current Quinnipiac campus on Mount Carmel Ave., plenty of names have been used when talking about the new campus: Rocky Top, Sherman Ave., even the TD Banknorth Campus.

Nicknames aside, the new 240-acre campus has officially been named York Hill.

In a statement released by Quinnipiac’s department of public relations, the naming came from Mrs. A Widmann, an entrepreneur who, more than a century ago, fell in love with the Mount Carmel and York Hill areas and developed a camp filled with log cabins, cottages and tents that she named “Rocky Top.” The camp was praised by local newspapers as a place to get away from the stressful Victorian life in the early 1900s.

Mrs. A Widmann’s memory will surely not be forgotten at the York Hill campus. The Rocky Top Student Center, which will house dining and other needs for students living at York Hill, will be situated close to where Widmann’s cottage used to be.

According to Joe Rubertone, the associate vice president for facilities administration, the 157,000-square-foot TD Banknorth Sports Center project remains on schedule.

“Over the summer, the roof was completed, parking lots were grated and received the basecoat of asphalt,” Rubertone said. “The floor slabs of both arenas were placed and the start of the refrigeration system for the hockey side is in place. Seat installation in the hockey arena is at 60 percent.”

The rest of the $400 million plan for the York Hill campus includes a $60 million graduate health sciences building and additional housing for residential students.

“Progress is coming along great,” Rubertone said. “The project is coming along very nicely.”