Rose Hill Drive: new band, classic rock

Rose Hill Drive has already performed with The Who and was asked by Van Halen to be their opening band, all before their first album had even been released.

Rose Hill Drive is a three-member band from Boulder, Colo. Bandmates include brothers Jake and Daniel Sproul and Nathan Barnes. The Sproul brothers began playing music at the age of three, according to Barnes, and met up with Barnes in 1999 to form Rose Hill Drive, named after the street Jake and Daniel grew up on. Almost everyday in high school the band congregated to the Sproul’s garage and rehearsed. From there, they began playing live shows and developed a fan base. They eventually signed to Megaforce/SCI Fidelity Records to release their self-titled debut album.

“It’s just rock and roll,” said Barnes about their debut album. “I think we pretty much accomplished what we wanted to with it.”

In the midst of a Panic! at the Disco and Fallout Boy era, Rose Hill Drive is a band classic rock lovers will appreciate. Barnes admits that classic rock, such as The Who and Aerosmith, is the kind of music they grew up listening to. With influences such as Queens of the Stone Age, Muse and Wolfmother, Rose Hill Drive offers a much-needed genre of music to the rock industry.

“We’re not trying to recreate a ’70s vibe,” said Barnes. “We’re just playing what we want to play.”

Getting their start as an underground band, Rose Hill Drive depended on performing live and the Internet to gain recognition.

“It’s a much easier way to get your music out there,” said Barnes. “Our Myspace site has helped us out a lot… Now we’re on iTunes for the first time.”

Rose Hill Drive is on tour now to promote their new album, and will be coming to the Webster Underground in Hartford on September 12. The band Gosling, who released their CD the same day as Rose Hill Drive, will be opening for them. When asked what we can expect from their live show, Barnes responded: “We just rock out, man.” Enough said.

Show info.: Webster Underground, Hartford, September 12. Show starts at 7 p.m., tickets $10; all ages.