Chartered at Last!

The Sigma Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon received its official charter which recognizes the Greek fraternity as the Connecticut Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon at their “Golden Heart Ball” on Saturday. The banquet was held at Woodwinds in Branford.

In attendance at the event, were the fraternity’s Grand Chapter President, Archer L. Yeatts III, and about 165 people including brothers, advisors and friends wishing to celebrate the momentous occasion. The process of gaining the charter began approximately two years ago in April of 2004.

Sigma Phi Epsilon came to Quinnipiac in April of 2004 after an extensive interviewing process conducted by the student center. Since then, the chapter has initiated an intensive recruitment process, utilized the help of an expansion team sent to Quinnipiac to assist the chapter with their initial recruitment and worked tirelessly to achieve the goals they set out to accomplish when the chapter first began.

“We set out on a mission, and in two years of hard work, we accomplished that mission,” said Anthony Brisson, founding father and former chapter president who served as the master of ceremonies for the GHB. “We received our charter and continue to be perceived as one of the elite chapters nationwide.”

The chapter began in 2004 with 22 members who pursued the idea of living their lives based on three basic principles: virtue, diligence and brotherly love. Today, the fraternity has grown to include 63 brothers who continue to live by these same principles.

“I think its amazing how 22 founding fathers get to build this amazing organization. and offer it to the community. There are so many students that want what is offered by us,” said founding father and Sigma Challenge Coordinator, Robert Bloise, Jr. who was also responsible for planning the event. “The amount of brothers now, 63, is only possible because we all strive for the same thing, to be virtuous, live diligently, and bond together forming brotherly love.”

The night kicked off with the fraternity’s current president Andrew Turczak and Bloise welcoming fellow brothers and guests. After dinner, Sigma Phi Epsilon showed an energetic recruitment video containing photos that depicted the goals and principles of the fraternity.

SigEp’s Alumni Advisor, Vincent Framularo spoke as did Jesse Hoartsmann, Sig Ep’s Regional Director, who presented the chapter with a $1000 installation gift on behalf of the Board of Trustees to the Sigma Phi Epsilon Educational Foundation which will be added to the Connecticut Epsilon Scholarship Fund within the Educational Foundation.Once the chapter’s scholarship fund balance reaches $2,500 the chapter may use its annual return to make scholarship awards.

The keynote speaker, Michael Cady, a Managing Director responsible for Guy Carpenter’s Global Market Relationship Practice spoke on the importance of education, global thinking, and how these two topics relate to the functioning of a fraternity

To top off the night, Yeatts presented Andy Turczak with a tradition, diamond-encrusted President’s badge that Turczak will pass down to future presidents of the chapter.

“This badge is the epitome of tradition for the fraternity,” Turczak said. “To be able to pass the badge on demonstrates Sig Ep’s longevity at Quinnipiac University.”

Following the presentation of the badge, Yeatts installed the executive officers, and the entire fraternity was presented with the charter.