Bobcat Briefs

Women’s lax earns spot in NEC tourney

The Quinnipiac women’s lacrosse team became the first team to qualify for the NEC tournament with an 18-9 victory Thursday at Long Island. The Bobcats (6-1 in NEC) are in second place and still have a chance to win the regular season title. The team that finishes first in the NEC will host the four-team tournament May 5 and 7.
Freshman Nicole Fiore and senior Danielle Mormile both had had tricks in the win over the Blackbirds. Freshman goalie Renee Hughes made six saves to pick up the win and also scored her first career goal.

***********************************

Tennis teams to defend NEC title

The Quinnipiac men’s and women’s tennis teams will be looking for their third straight NEC title this weekend when they compete at the NEC Tournament. The winner of the two-day event earns an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament. The women’s team is the top seed in the tournament and the men’s team is the second seed.
Both teams blanked Sacred Heart 7-0 in their final home game of the season Thursday. Junior Gabby Pasternak was a 6-3, 6-1 winner at the No. 1 singles flight for the women’s team. For the men, seniors Jonathan Russo and Greg Kreyman were both double-winners. Each won their singles match and teamed to earn a victory in No. 3 doubles.

***********************************

Hockey teams name captains for 06-07

Both the Quinnipiac men’s and women’s hockey teams named their captains for the 2006-07 season. Junior defenseman Reid Cashman will serve as captain of the men’s team. A First-Team All-ECAC pick, Cashman led the league in assists with 36. Senior forward Michael Bordieri and sophomore forward Jamie Bates were named assistant captains.
For the second straight season, senior defenseman Kristin Alcorn will serve as captain of the women’s team. A natural forward who moved back to play defense this season, Alcorn will return for her last season of eligibility as a graduate student. Junior forward Ashley Jaffray and junior defenseman Jackie Kendrick will serve as assistant captains.

***********************************

Sheriff named NEC Pitcher of Week

Quinnipiac sophomore Kristin Sheriff was named NEC Pitcher of the Week after pitching three consecutive complete game shutouts to help the Bobcats go 5-0. She allowed just 12 hits and struck out 20 batters in 21 innings pitched.