TV downloads keep viewers and Apple iTunes blissful

There is nothing worse than missing a brand new episode of your favorite show, knowing that it may not be on DVD for another year. Now with the help of iTunes and other Internet sources, viewers can conveniently download their favorite just in time to contribute to the next morning’s watercooler discussion.

“It’s convenient to do that kind of stuff if you’re not able to watch one of those shows when they air,” said Michelle Monaco, a junior media production major.

While shows like “Lost” and “Desperate Housewives” are available to download on iTunes after they initially air, “The Office,” a British-import comedy starring Steve Carell will debut episodes exclusively on NBC.com this summer. Downloading TV shows allows people who own video iPods and MP3 players to watch their favorite episodes anywhere, anytime. But do Quinnipiac students find this new source of technology useful, or just unnecessary?

“I wouldn’t download the shows because if I like a show enough to watch it,” said Christopher Valentine, a junior business management major. “I’d buy the DVD of it.”

Lea Fabrizio, a junior nursing major, also does not find downloading TV shows essential.

“I have no interest in downloading (television). I probably wont (download) because it takes too long and I don’t have an iPod,” she said.

With the new craze of TV shows on DVD, it is even easier to watch any episode of a show you may have missed, or just want to see again. However, a DVD of one season for a particular TV show can cost up to $40. You can download one episode on iTunes for only $1.99. While it is cheaper, if you do not own a video iPod or an MP3 player you might as well just watch television.

If you are never around when a show you like airs on television, however, downloading may be your best choice. Who wants to wait for a season to come out on DVD when the same season is one click away on your computer? Brian Ference, a junior biology major, is a devoted “Lost” viewer who likes the idea of downloading TV shows.

“I think it’s great that (“Lost”) is online. If you miss one season, it’s so hard to catch up,” Ference said.

Although it is convenient to have access to technology that allows us to download television directly onto our computers, television sets do not seem to be affected. Most college students enjoy kicking back and clicking the remote when they have some free time. But it is nice to know that if you really wanted to, you could watch an episode of your favorite show in minutes for a small price.

As previously noted, “The Office” will debut episodes this summer. Visit NBC.com to download these episodes, or download iTunes to catch episodes of your other favorite shows.